Photo

High to Low convertor for sub amp input - will I get bass loss?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stereo stu

stereo stu

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 Jun 2018 - 23:40

When adding a small active sub to a factory system will I suffer bass loss from tapping into the rear speaker wires to feed a high to low converter to feed into the subs low level input?

If so, is a more expensive one a better option and how do I know what to look for?

Halfords sell the Autoleads one for £6.99 but it just looks like a few wires and a very small capacitor? wrapped in tape.

Ebay have a lot of choice including some for just a few quid more that look to be small boxes filled with much more electric bits and bobs?

Stu.

#2 PhilCookson

PhilCookson

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 Jun 2018 - 08:41

You mean will you suffer the loss of bass from the speaker? I shouldn't think so.

#3 stereo stu

stereo stu

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 Jun 2018 - 21:22

To clarify, I was asking if the sub amp would be receiving a signal which had lost some lower bass frequency, because it was being fed a signal that had passed through a high to low convertor.

I'm sure I had read that the process of dumming down the higher level output and the amp re-amplifying it could cause a loss of bass.  It may be that is marginal and nothing to worry about when adding a mid range active sub to a mid-range OEM factory system.

So what is the difference between the cheap converters and the much more expensive ones?

Stu.

#4 stereo stu

stereo stu

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 Jun 2018 - 08:10

Anyone??

I will be buying the Autoleads one from Halfords to use later today

It is this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTOLEADS-PC1-601-Car-Audio-Speaker-to-RCA-Phono-Adaptor-High-to-Low/172851689291?epid=1045430420&hash=item283ec3774b:g:GQMAAOSwGNdZpoZI

There is a lot less to it than something like this (aside from the gain adjustment which I don't need:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Auto-RCA-Stereo-High-VF-to-Low-VF-Level-Line-Speaker-Converter-Cable/122699494560?hash=item1c9175b4a0:g:bMQAAOSwv~NZtpGw

Stu.

#5 SQashqai

SQashqai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 15 Jun 2018 - 15:28

The OEM HU will most likely have a HP filter on it to protect the mid bass.

Cheap LOCs are usually just step down transformers. Any additional bass loss would be marginal IMO.

2015 EMMA UK Master OEM League Champion

FiiO TAISHAN - Helix V Eight DSP - ?

#6 stereo stu

stereo stu

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 Jun 2018 - 21:44

That's good news thank you for that. If I decide to go for a better quality LOC is there anything I should look for?
Stu.

Edited by stereo stu, 15 Jun 2018 - 22:00.