Photo

Tweeter or Coaxial for upper mids/highs on 2-way systems?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 E46SQ

E46SQ

• 7 posts

Posted 12 Jun 2018 - 19:02

Hello everyone,

I am building a system currently. I am interested in Morel speakers for the front stage as I love their sound signature.

Due to the limitations of my car and the lack of fabrication know-how in my country, I need to stick to a 2-way front stage (but I would love a 3-way system). I'm currently looking at the Morel Elate MW6 for midwoofers. Now for the higher frequencies, I'm stuck between the Supremo Piccolos and the Hybrid Integra 4s.

The Piccolos would give amazing highs but barely any mids (unless I cross them really low) and the Integras would provide me with a pseudo 3-way with good midrange/vocals lifting the soundstage while giving more or less good highs.

What are your thoughts?

#2 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 12 Jun 2018 - 19:12

What car is it and how do you want to instal things? 

A 3 way compared to a good 2 way build is not much more difficult of there are spots to instal speakers... 

A good sounding car is a careful mix of art and science. 

#3 E46SQ

E46SQ

• 7 posts

Posted 13 Jun 2018 - 08:43

It's a BMW E46 sedan. My car didn't come with a 3-way system so I don't have space in the doors for a midrange speaker. I'm gonna install the Elate 6.5 woofer in the factory door location at the bottom and install the tweeter at the a-pillars in custom made adjustable aluminium pods. Now either I can put a Piccolo tweeter or an 4" Hybrid Integra coaxial there but I have space for only one speaker. Which do you think will give a better sound?

#4 m@tty

m@tty

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 13 Jun 2018 - 13:49

I always fancied trying Hybrid Integras in This way. I would say in an E46 with midbass in the doors this would be the way to go.

#5 Mannparry

Mannparry

Forum rent boy.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 13 Jun 2018 - 16:46

Morels in kicks, Integra’s in a pillars. This would make for a very nice simple front stage. 

Dyn's on class A

#6 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 13 Jun 2018 - 18:50

If you can fit one driver on the dash I would indeed do the coaxial or even een fullrange driver up there, midbass in the kickpannels would be better then the doors, only more work.... 

A good sounding car is a careful mix of art and science. 

#7 nige

nige

Rest in Peace Cass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,978 posts

Posted 15 Jun 2018 - 20:16

E46 pillars are a bit rubbish. Doubt you could get a useable 4” build up there without it looking very bulky. I’d go with the tweeter

You could however lose the left and right air vents and do the 4” builds there

--Alpine F#1--Amps by Gordon Taylor--Rainbow Profi-- 

--Dynaudio Esotar2--Silent Coat Extra--14 volt--