Photo

How much power does 12” Aliante Si Ltd need?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GTi Si

GTi Si

Old skool

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 11 Jun 2018 - 18:56

Have one of these in the loft but not sure how much power they really need and therefore if my amp is big enough for it. 

Any views?

It would ideally be powered from my Genesis 5 Limited. 

Cheers,

Simon

#2 p.s.sound

p.s.sound

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 12 Jun 2018 - 12:32

Hi Simon,

Your question is a bit relative. It depends on how loud you want to go. If the sub is located in the car, where it gets enough cabin gain, even 200W can be enough to make things rattle. 

On the other hand you can through any oversized amp behind it too and if it's well setup, it won't hurt the sub. Headroom is not a bad thing if you like pushing it loud, at least the amp wouldn't struggle. 

Peter

EMMA UK Champion 2015 - Advanced Unlimited

EMMA UK Champion 2017 - Multimedia Skilled 2.1

EMMA European Champion 2017 - Multimedia Skilled 2.1

Audible Physics UK, Audiotec Fisher - Match / Helix / Brax, Tchernov Cable, Fiio

#3 GTi Si

GTi Si

Old skool

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 12 Jun 2018 - 19:19

Guess it’s headroom that I’m really asking about. 

Usually I would use an amp rated higher than the sub input but the Aliante is rated at 500W RMS but the amp is around 300W RMS. 

It won’t be run very loud ;)

Simon

#4 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 12 Jun 2018 - 20:31

300wrms is normally enough to play loud enough to enjoy the music in a normal way, a lot also depends on the installation en tuning off the system. 

A good sounding car is a careful mix of art and science. 

#5 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 12 Jun 2018 - 20:32

I'm also wondering this. I have 350Wrms (Helix H1000) or 420Wrms (Audison 1.1k) on tap, but am looking for something with more power for the LTD. I used the 350Wrms before on a regular SI, but I was not very impressed (but wiring was flimsy, running a H400 and H1000 of off a single 10mm^2).

Keeping an eye out for an Audison 2.500 (660Wrms) or I could bridge two H1000's (1200Wrms :raz:)

If a man says he will fix it, he will.

There is no need to remind him every 6 months.

#6 Simonh

Simonh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 13 Jun 2018 - 21:56

I ran my non ltd with a vibe monoblock.

i did end up blowing it though.....

Doing it is not enough - it has to be done right.

#7 p.s.sound

p.s.sound

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 14 Jun 2018 - 11:18

Guess it’s headroom that I’m really asking about. 

Usually I would use an amp rated higher than the sub input but the Aliante is rated at 500W RMS but the amp is around 300W RMS. 

It won’t be run very loud ;)

Simon

Hi Simon,

You should be fine with 300W, just make sure it doesn't send clipping signal to the sub. 

I had times when i had around 250W for just a 10" Aliante in my Honda estate and it surprised many people when it comes to output for an SQ setup. 

Also, if you're thinking of installing this sub in the TT, mind where you locate it to get the desired cabin gain. Work with the car, not against it. 

Peter

EMMA UK Champion 2015 - Advanced Unlimited

EMMA UK Champion 2017 - Multimedia Skilled 2.1

EMMA European Champion 2017 - Multimedia Skilled 2.1

Audible Physics UK, Audiotec Fisher - Match / Helix / Brax, Tchernov Cable, Fiio

#8 GTi Si

GTi Si

Old skool

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 14 Jun 2018 - 20:21

Indeed Peter.

Was originally thinking of putting the 8" sub I have under the glovebox (still need the glovebox so can't replace it) or do something with the 8" in one of the side panels by the back seats but making it look right is a real challenge.

Or of course I could try to shoe horn the Aliante under the glovebox! Or build it over the V6 wheel well on the opposite side to the batter but seems a great faff there.

Most realistically if I wanted to use the Aliante, but not ideal space wise, is I could put the Aliante at the front of the boot (by the rear bumper) with the sub facing towards the rear seats (like in Chris' car).

In your experience where is the best place to use cabin gain to my advantage?

Cheers,

Simon