Install possible without using doors?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Twonks

Twonks

Legend

• 6,066 posts

Posted 08 Jun 2018 - 07:34

Bit of a curveball question, and I've got over a year to study options as it'll be going into the next car.

Assume a reasonably normal family saloon or hatch.

Basically, is it possible to get a good sounding install without using the front doors for low/mid bass?

I've got a company car that can't be cut up and heavy obvious deadening is a bit of a no-no.

Speakers in doors are always a pain in the backside because of this.

This in itself isn't a huge problem, but I just wonder if it is possible to do something different.

Not chasing the best in SQ although a good well centred, staged and realistic sound.

Music is all sorts and I like it loud with impact. Bit like a good concert I suppose.

Needs to be unobtrusive as well. The car is used for 3 hours a day minimum and sometimes has 4 people in so can't be too invasive.

A Helix P six will be powering whatever goes in, so have a lot of control over the drivers and all six powered channels are available as I have a separate amp for the sub.

First thoughts are enclosed larger drivers under the seats, smaller full range in/on/near mirror panels or mids and tweets in A pillar with a small ish sub under the dash for mid/low bass and a 15" sub in the boot for the lows.

Open to all thoughts and opinions :)

#2 GTi Si

GTi Si

Old skool

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 08 Jun 2018 - 07:43

2 ways in the kicks?

Good question as I was wondering the same for the TT. 

Decided on kicks (eventually) but will start the doors for the mids with tweeters in the A pillars. 

8” sub up front under glove box. 

All powered from a Genesis 5 Limited. 

Simon

Edited by GTi Si, 08 Jun 2018 - 07:47.

#3 SQashqai

SQashqai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 08 Jun 2018 - 08:56

Same situation here. Company car, no cutting, and the inner door panel/window mech is plastic and useless.

Under seat midbass can work well, I did a season in EMMA M5000 with reasonable results in my previous car. Still using them in this car.

Something to be wary of though. You can only play them up to 160Hz max before they suffer a steep roll off in response.

With that in mind, you'll need a 3.5" - 4" midrange which can be a challenge to install in the sail panels and remain discrete.

2015 EMMA UK Master OEM League Champion

FiiO TAISHAN - Helix V Eight DSP - ?

#4 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 08 Jun 2018 - 09:01

Basically, is it possible to get a good sounding install without using the front doors for low/mid bass?

Yes, SQashqai did it in his last car with boxes under the seats (as he mentions above) and it was awesome.

Maybe the 4" he mentions instead of the sail, they go in the kick?

Edited by Cristian, 08 Jun 2018 - 09:02.

#5 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 Jun 2018 - 19:00

Midbass in the kickpannels if the car has enough room in there... but no idea which new cars have any space in there. 

Other wise a midbass under the seat can work if you can get a bigger mid range up front I would think at least a small 4" 

A good sounding car is a careful mix of art and science. 

#6 rares

rares

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 Jun 2018 - 08:33

But the mids can be placed in the doors? Because they don't have so much vibrations? Or the response will be worst?

#7 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 09 Jun 2018 - 16:36

door have the most problems with midbass below 200 hz or so, and as the drivers are off axis the topend will drop quicker but with a smaller midrangen say a 4" or so you can still cross them over to most tweeters on the pillars or mirror caps. 

A good sounding car is a careful mix of art and science. 

#8 m@tty

m@tty

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 09 Jun 2018 - 16:54

Have you seen the morel virtus nano 6.5s I’m pretty sure you could fit them in most kicks, then  tempo ultra Integra 4s in the pillars.