• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 GTi Si

GTi Si

Old skool

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 18:16

Was wondering if people have found an ideal base vehicle for SQ installs which have good mounting locations and don’t have too bad reflections, flat dashboard etc. 

See the trends in competition cars is to rip out the dash but there must be cars that more readily lend themselves to SQ and avoid messing with the sound too much. 

Simon

#2 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 19:58

There is no "best" SQ car... as everyones "best" SQ definition is different...or no "best" car for driving

for an ideal SQ car I would look to a car with good room in the kickpannels and a room on the dash/pillars for mid and high frequenties.

Also a car with not to much off all the new electronics is easier to instal in... as the more computers in the car and so can give you problems. 

A good sounding car is a careful mix of art and science. 

#3 Paul R

Paul R

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 20:12

McLaren F1 seat in the centre of car ;)

#4 Rug Doctor

Rug Doctor

Legend

• 18,554 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 20:16

I bought a Porsche 914 because it had a smooth dash,  no centre console and speaker placement wider than the seating position. I had already planned a horn install for it before I bought one. 

You need to decide what sort of system you want, horns/pointsource on dash/2-way/3-Way,  whether you want the speakers in the kicks or in the doors... then what sort of subbage do you want? A simple small sub upfront, or a big sub in boot??

You buy hifi to work well in the room you have at home.... You need to buy equipment to suit the car you have in the same way...  So if you’re asking what’s the best SQ car,  I think it totally depends what sort of system you want to run!!!

#5 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 20:32

If money is no problem... only don't know if there are any options to put speakers in there? 

#6 Rug Doctor

Rug Doctor

Legend

• 18,554 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 20:36

It had a system originally designed by Kenwood Tonny!!

#7 puggie

puggie

Cheers HB ;)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,760 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 20:42

I think they premiered the DDD-Drive stuff in it.
It's an ageing estate car with a bonkers super car engine, known for being fragile.

What do you mean it's not a sensible family car and could be a potential money pit?!?!

#8 Rug Doctor

Rug Doctor

Legend

• 18,554 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 20:50

I think they premiered the DDD-Drive stuff in it.

A NEW APPROACH TO CAR AUDIO DESIGN WAS DEMANDED, THAT THE SYSTEM BE AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE CAR

McLaren Cars asked Kenwood to create the F1’s unique audio system. Kenwood had to achieve the finest-quality sound reproduction within extremely demanding weight and design restrictions.

Their system had to harmonise with the F1’s ergonomic philosophy, being easy and logical to operate under all driving conditions. As well as offering exceptionally user-friendly hi-fi controls, it also had to maintain all current state-of-the-art features and matching flexibility.

Involved in the F1 project from its inception, Kenwood developed a dedicated ultra-modern compact disc system freed of current mass market compromise. The result is both unique and simple to use, and provides audio quality second to none.

The system’s heart is the world’s smallest ten-disc player, a front-mounted KDC C600 compact disc autochanger using the latest Kenwood single-bit technology and offering over 12 hours continuous listening pleasure. During development testing, it has performed reliably at up to 1.5G loading – ideal for the demanding environment of the F1 in action.

The F1 driver has a range of sophisticated multi-function switches within easy reach to ensure total system command without distraction from the road. Linked directly into the car’s ‘brain’, visual information appears on the dash panel warning system indicator, enabling the driver easily to confirm the functions activated.

This revolutionary concept epitomises the F1’s ‘driver first’ philosophy.

To power their five assorted speakers, Kenwood chose their KAC 622 amplifier. Integrated into the dashboard this new product provides easy and accurate power delivery and sound quality. Careful speaker positioning in specially designed enclosures ensures the highest quality.

And thanks to the F1’s unique centreline driving position, it is the only car in the world to offer truly stereophonic sound.

#9 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 21:27

did not know that! 

#10 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 22:38

For spl people go nuts if they find a 1990s fiat panda.
At the emma eurofinals where people work hard to get the best sq system they can...all the cars are different. If it were a golf, everyone would buy a golf and compete with it.

I know what car isn't the best car for sq, alfa romeo 156. :)

Edited by Cristian, 06 Jun 2018 - 22:38.

#11 Ryan.

Ryan.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,286 posts

Posted 07 Jun 2018 - 11:06

There is no "best" SQ car... as everyones "best" SQ definition is different...or no "best" car for driving

for an ideal SQ car I would look to a car with good room in the kickpannels and a room on the dash/pillars for mid and high frequenties.

Also a car with not to much off all the new electronics is easier to instal in... as the more computers in the car and so can give you problems. 

The VW caddy ticks most of those boxes. Plus oem tweets are in the top of the dash, the staging is pretty good anyway.

2008 Street A: 145.8.................................................................2013: Street B: 149.1  - Uk Champion
2009 Street A: 145.9                                                                 2014: Street B: 150.7  - Uk Champion
2010 2nd in Street C: 138.1 (1 12" + 250wrms)                        2015: Street B: 150.8 - Uk Champion
2011 Street C: 147.9                                                                 2016: Street Stock NL: 151.4 - Uk Champion
2011 Monster: 157.8 (12" and 9wrms)
2012 Street B: 148.1

Atomic, Digital Designs - Powered by XS Power

#12 Canadian

Canadian

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 Jun 2018 - 12:15

hahahahaha, you beat me to it Paul :)

#13 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 07 Jun 2018 - 16:46

The VW caddy ticks most of those boxes. Plus oem tweets are in the top of the dash, the staging is pretty good anyway.

Depends on it if you have to wall behind the seats or not... with the stock wall behind the seat is not good for sq... and other wise loads off dampening needed to get the rear pannels quit also you sit quit high compared to the dash I think. 

Optimal is where you can have a good difference in size between hight lengts and width off the car so the resonances are different and where you can sit at a good point as close as possible to each other but not exactly in the center off the car as that will also give you problem frequenties in the bass area.... 

#14 Scrambled_legs

Scrambled_legs

Irregular Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 07 Jun 2018 - 21:07

Id suggest a vw beetle ?  :)

Edited by Scrambled_legs, 07 Jun 2018 - 21:08.

'Music Inflames Temperament'

#15 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 Jun 2018 - 19:01

Id suggest a vw beetle ?  :)

That has at least a lot off room on and in the dash! and big pillars to put driver in/on. 

#16 SQashqai

SQashqai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 08 Jun 2018 - 19:26

Honda Jazz

Attached Files

2015 EMMA UK Master OEM League Champion

FiiO TAISHAN - Helix V Eight DSP - ?

#17 Mannparry

Mannparry

Forum rent boy.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 08 Jun 2018 - 19:28

^^^Sydney opera house with wheels^^^  :D

Dyn's on class A

#18 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 Jun 2018 - 20:14

Honda Jazz

the steering wheel is on the wrong side :unsure:

#19 adrimo

adrimo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:59

The fun and challenge is buying the car you want and making it sound good by overcoming all the obstacles

I'm a big boy and I like my toys

#20 marko

marko

Team Phoenix Gold.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,871 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:28

The fun and challenge is buying the car you want and making it sound good by overcoming all the obstacles

have a go with my E24 then, that's almost impossible to put anything in it without the aid of an angle grinder or other such implements...

2016 Octavia vRS 230 combi

1988 BMW 635CSI Highline, weekend toy.

2004 Beetle TDi daily hack