Clipping indicator

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hardwarejunkie

Hardwarejunkie

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 08:16

Has anyone tried making a diy clipping indicator? Spotted this on youtube and might give it a go. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L9sVY_wdDKw

are there any tried and tested alternatives that anyone knows of?

#2 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 08:57

DD1, Scope or playing test tones and listening for the pitch of the tone to change, or bang it on half and use the volume control.

#3 Hardwarejunkie

Hardwarejunkie

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 09:45

DD1, Scope or playing test tones and listening for the pitch of the tone to change, or bang it on half and use the volume control.

Thanks for the reply, I will be scoping to set the gains eventually, was just interested in knocking up a cheap circuit  as an alternative to the DD1, or even to leave installed in the dash. Would be interesting to compare it to the scoped reading. 

#4 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 09:51

Thanks for the reply, I will be scoping to set the gains eventually, was just interested in knocking up a cheap circuit  as an alternative to the DD1, or even to leave installed in the dash. Would be interesting to compare it to the scoped reading. 

It's all academic because you need to set the gains to either a 0db, -3db, -6db signal. Music can be recorded at any of the three, there is no getting away from using the volume control.

If you are going for SPL numbers and want every bit of power available, I totally get it, but you would be setting up against specific material, be it PD tones, or EMMA tracks etc.

For SQ purposes, you are never driving the system hard enough to worry about it, so having the gains as low as possible to avoid introducing floor noise would be my approach.

I.e. if you are running your system at -40db on your headunit, you are amplifying a weak signal, have a stronger signal and amplify it less.

#5 Hardwarejunkie

Hardwarejunkie

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 10:41

All good points. I never listen loud enough to clip either, but listening is not the whole reason I do this, I enjoy the obsessing, the soldering, the testing and just general fettling. Thats why I’m interested in this circuit. 

Real world my gains will be set to near their lowest point as My mrv amps only take input up to 4v versus my hu’s 5v max,

With all hu’s dials to the right and gain at zero I measured the amps output voltage at over 60v Where as max should be just under 50v. 

A clipping indicator on the dash would just be peace of mind. 

#6 Bass_Junkie83

Bass_Junkie83

iRegular Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 12:12

But if you are never likely to push your system hard enough to clip, you will be putting a lot of work into installing an led that will never light up.

If you just fancy a little project that bring some blinking lights into your life then how about making an LED VU meter?

maxresdefault.jpg

member of the naff off, I'll finish it when I'm ready club, founded by mulletgit2

Formerly TEAM HYBRIDS

2007 IASCA Rookie 1001+ UK Champion | 2007 IASCA Rookie Eurasian Champion | 2008 IASCA Amateur UK Champion

#7 Hardwarejunkie

Hardwarejunkie

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 Jun 2018 - 12:49

But if you are never likely to push your system hard enough to clip, you will be putting a lot of work into installing an led that will never light up.

If you just fancy a little project that bring some blinking lights into your life then how about making an LED VU meter?

Ooh, looks like fun : )