Anyone used a 6.5 sub up front

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Go2

Go2

• 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 15:47

Howdy folks

Thinking of chuckin in a 6.5 w3 or similar in a tiny box in my footwell to bridge the gap a bit between my sub in my boot and my comps. The cars an E46 so has crappy doorcard speaker mounting and i don't want the hassle of fabricatin so im thinking current 6.5 comps play to around 80 or 90 hz 6w3 plays around 50 to 80hz and sub in boot handles the rest?

i have a bit nova to handle tuning etc. alternatively i don't mind other 6.5 inch subs if anyone has suggestions as the jl is damn pricey for what it is lol. reason for a 6.5 sub instead of 8 or 10 is to have smallest box poss

Cheers yall

Edited by Go2, 30 May 2018 - 15:49.

#2 bigrigbri

bigrigbri

Fighting time and losing.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 18:02

The Vibe cven 6.5 sub has had some good reviews but still a pricey like unit.
One under each side of the dash (pass& driver) would work well if they could be shoehorned in there.
The 8 inch driver would be a better bet for a lower frequency response (in most cases). Cars that have had front subs generally go with a 10 inch for a real good low punch.
Bmw E39 530d,?, Alpine cda-9887r

#3 AbdulC

AbdulC

Loving the V8

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 19:43

I don't really want the lows as I say. If I can get 50 to 70 or 80hz ill be stoked

#4 Paul R

Paul R

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 20:22

funnily enough I did an install on a e46 last year and put my old dls rxt6 tube with a jl w3 6in driver in there it was epic and fitted in the footwell so well.

#5 MR2FC

MR2FC

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 20:34

Lots of people using the JL one as there only sub in an underdash box in MR2 Roadsters.

Attached File  20150816_075944_zpsjdsl6uhk.jpg   186.51KB   0 downloads

#6 AbdulC

AbdulC

Loving the V8

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 22:01

How's the JL on the punchy stuff Paul?

Edited by AbdulC, 30 May 2018 - 23:22.

#7 Paul R

Paul R

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:57

Really enjoyable it integrated so well in both mine and the bmw aswell couldnt tell where it was and had it low passed at 80hz

#8 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 16:59

Why no kickpannel build and ditch the door speakers? The right driver in the kickpannels can do 60hz easy and in stereo. 

A good sounding car is a careful mix of art and science. 

#9 Gamma_ed

Gamma_ed

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 Jun 2018 - 07:47

I have seen many bmw cars, where they made a kickpannel in the footwell. 

maybe you should take a look at the stereo integrity 6,5 inch speaker, this one is amazing good for low and kick

#10 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 01 Jun 2018 - 12:11

Howdy folks

Thinking of chuckin in a 6.5 w3 or similar in a tiny box in my footwell to bridge the gap a bit between my sub in my boot and my comps. The cars an E46 so has crappy doorcard speaker mounting and i don't want the hassle of fabricatin so im thinking current 6.5 comps play to around 80 or 90 hz 6w3 plays around 50 to 80hz and sub in boot handles the rest?

i have a bit nova to handle tuning etc. alternatively i don't mind other 6.5 inch subs if anyone has suggestions as the jl is damn pricey for what it is lol. reason for a 6.5 sub instead of 8 or 10 is to have smallest box poss

Cheers yall

I've used the Vibe Cven 6.5" sub with good results. Providing you are not expecting bass below 50hz you won't be disappointed 

#11 SQashqai

SQashqai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 Jun 2018 - 14:16

50-80Hz is typically when room modes start becoming an issue in cars.

Below 50Hz, you can place the sub almost anywhere, and it makes no difference.

50-80Hz, and placement is critical. More precisely the relative position of your head and the speaker.

If you try sitting or measuring from different seats, even moving your head forward and back a bit, the kick should be there.

Installing another midbass in the wrong place won't necessarily solve your problem.

I've found the midbass sweet spot in my car and it's not where I would have expected.

Door speakers are now turned off, single mono midbass, 50-130Hz and it sounds better than ever.

2015 EMMA UK Master OEM League Champion

FiiO TAISHAN - Helix V Eight DSP - ?

#12 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 01 Jun 2018 - 15:53

50-80Hz is typically when room modes start becoming an issue in cars.

Below 50Hz, you can place the sub almost anywhere, and it makes no difference.

50-80Hz, and placement is critical. More precisely the relative position of your head and the speaker.

If you try sitting or measuring from different seats, even moving your head forward and back a bit, the kick should be there.

Installing another midbass in the wrong place won't necessarily solve your problem.

I've found the midbass sweet spot in my car and it's not where I would have expected.

Door speakers are now turned off, single mono midbass, 50-130Hz and it sounds better than ever.

I wanted to listen to your car before you wrote that. Now I have to... when and where?

#13 SQashqai

SQashqai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 Jun 2018 - 16:13

I wanted to listen to your car before you wrote that. Now I have to... when and where?

Who knows? Slowly working through the issues before I come out to play again. 3 down, only 8 octaves to go :D

2015 EMMA UK Master OEM League Champion

FiiO TAISHAN - Helix V Eight DSP - ?