Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 19:52

Hey

Hopefully somebody knows the answers

I was driving home this afternoon and the 325 started making a right racket 

wasnt sluggish or anything, just noisy.

Jacked it up to find one of the flange’s behind the 2nd bank cat had rusted through,

So slapped some steel putty to seal it for the day it will last.

Looking on eBay I have found a couple of suitable cat backs but the catch is that they are for manuals only, 

whats the difference?

Edited by frostbite, 29 May 2018 - 19:56.

Roanapur is an old Thai port in southern Thailand, where the deserters of the Vietnam war took refuge and were joined by the worst villains and criminals of the world.

Prostitutes, drug-addicts, mercenaries, killers and psychopaths of any nationalities compose the population of Roanapur.

#2 bigrigbri

bigrigbri

Fighting time and losing.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:25

On the 5 Series I think there is an extra bracket onto the gearbox on autos. Can't be sure though.
Best looking on Realoem.com for the part numbers and see.
Bmw E39 530d,?, Alpine cda-9887r

#3 frostbite

frostbite

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 19:55

When I was under the car yesterday, I noticed the bracket on the pipes next to the gearbox sump but its not connected to anything,

the only place its mounted to is the two straps that protect the prop shaft centre bearing.

Edited by frostbite, 29 May 2018 - 19:55.

Roanapur is an old Thai port in southern Thailand, where the deserters of the Vietnam war took refuge and were joined by the worst villains and criminals of the world.

Prostitutes, drug-addicts, mercenaries, killers and psychopaths of any nationalities compose the population of Roanapur.

#4 crisc204

crisc204

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 13:50

That clamps the pipes together.
One clamp several uses

I doubt its meant to bolt to the sump 

One of the difference between Autos and manuals E46 is Autos have bolt on weights on the exhaust to act as vibration dampers to help stop Droning noise.
They may also have extra clamps but it will be near something solid like a Cross brace or Subframe

The Centre sections are very likely the same otherwise.
Rear sections will be Engine type and then M-Sport or Standard
They have to go around the same engine regardless of transmission

Main real world Differences on E46 would be 4 or 6 Cylinder and probably 6Cylinder excluding M3 that kind of thing

Buy it offer it up and see

What year is the car ? Does it have 1 pair of cats or 2?

Edited by crisc204, 31 May 2018 - 17:14.

www.911rrr.com

#5 frostbite

frostbite

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 01 Jun 2018 - 09:20

It’s a 2000 325i and it drones/ vibrates when the revs are a steady 1500.

it has the cats in the manifolds and what ever the two lumps are in the pic then a centre silencer and a rear box

I do do really want the stainless pipes as they are cheap

#6 crisc204

crisc204

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 02 Jun 2018 - 15:41

Secondary Cats in the pics

Your current exhaust noises at 1500rpm's are probably because its worn-out inside the boxes or the corroded joins no?

Also poss the cats are breaking up inside the housing if the Cats are rattling it's common at end of component life  

The secondary Cats removal...  99% sure can be removed and coded out or defeated electronically through a remap
There should be an o2 sensor after them in the "Y" bit when it goes to one pipe

...BUT stricter MOT's are here already any missing Cats or ( DPF's on the Diesels) is a big nono moving forward
so you'll have to check into that first. 

I no longer offer DPF deletes/removal at work... People still doing it and Saying its for off road use is a false economy when they may end up buying another 
There is very real possibility of a stiff fine from VOSA if caught

www.911rrr.com