Where to buy shares/stock

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mister_mitch

mister_mitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:28

I haven't owned any shares/stocks in a few years, but want to put some money into a couple of american companies I've been reading up on.

Anyone suggest the best platform to purchase? and later sell.

Talking under £2k for about 18-24 months, if that makes a difference to fees etc.

#2 GTi Si

GTi Si

Old skool

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:38

I use iWeb but it’s only web based with no app. They cover US and do the paperwork. 

Make sure that you use the isa wrapper option if you haven’t already got a stocks and shares ISA for this tax year. 

Simon

#3 Bibby

Bibby

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,567 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:01

I've been using Hargreaves Lansdowne for a good few years. Longer than I actually remembered, which was nice when they got in touch to tell me about some money I'd put in with them a few years ago.

Open to hearing your thoughts on the american companies you're thinking of.

#4 Breezer

Breezer

Highly Irregular TA Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,389 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:27

I haven't owned any shares/stocks in a few years, but want to put some money into a couple of american companies I've been reading up on.

Anyone suggest the best platform to purchase? and later sell.

Talking under £2k for about 18-24 months, if that makes a difference to fees etc.

I generally advise against people buying individual stocks unless it’s accepted as a pure gamble. I can go into the myriad reasons if anyone is interested, but suffice to say you are incredibly unlikely to have any insight that isn’t already priced in under normal market conditions. 

That said, have a look at III, Youinvest, Charles Stanley for fairly low fees. There’s a chart somewhere online that details the fees of all the major brokers in one place. 

#5 Bibby

Bibby

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,567 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:29

It goes without saying that stocks and shares are always a gamble, all of them.

#6 Breezer

Breezer

Highly Irregular TA Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,389 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:39

It goes without saying that stocks and shares are always a gamble, all of them.

Well, I’d argue that global index funds aren’t any more of a gamble than cash, at least when used correctly - which is to say bought regularly and held over the very long term to fund retirement.  If shares in aggregate (which broadly then represent the global economy) don’t perform over 30 years, we’ll have bigger problems to deal with. 

Cash is a gamble that inflation will remain lower than interest rates. Which it currently isn’t. 

Edited by Breezer, 29 May 2018 - 06:43.

#7 mister_mitch

mister_mitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 15:52

I generally advise against people buying individual stocks unless it’s accepted as a pure gamble. I can go into the myriad reasons if anyone is interested, but suffice to say you are incredibly unlikely to have any insight that isn’t already priced in under normal market conditions. 

That said, have a look at III, Youinvest, Charles Stanley for fairly low fees. There’s a chart somewhere online that details the fees of all the major brokers in one place. 

Agreed, and I don't see this as a safe investment. More of something I have taken a interest in and willing to risk a certain amount of money, and due to my interest in the topic/company I'm sure ill keep an eye on it. 

and yes, my knowledge is based on general public reading, and nothing that anyone else couldn't assume for themselves, I just think there will be a reasonable increase in share price over the next couple of years.

Better than placing a bet with Ladbrooks on England in the world cup, but probably close to being as risky.  :lol:  I almost look at it this way.

any substantial amount I would probably put into a 'ready made' stocks and shares ISA, or take advice.

Edited by mister_mitch, 29 May 2018 - 15:55.