Photo

Why do my sent email always go to client's spam?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mister_mitch

mister_mitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:05

I have been having an issue with my emails going into customers spam folders and just now I almost lost a job because a client thought I was ignoring them!

Even if replying to emails sent to me, or further into an email 'chain' I still end up in spam.
It effects all emails being sent, even clients on different services i.e sent to @hotmail @gmail etc

Mainly its emails with attachments - only PDFs or JPEG (quotes and kitchen images)

I use Hostpresto for my website hosting and email, I also have a dedicated IP, if that has any influence? (for some reason they recommended it?)

I have checked and DKIM and SPF are enabled. (as recommended by the hostings help files - i have no idea what they are)

Is there anything else that can be done to improve the chances of my emails getting through to my customers?
its getting tedious following every client email with a phone call to tell them I've sent something over.

I've sent another email to my hostings support, but thought I would ask on here as well.

Would it be worth me spending another £6 a month and using GSuite?  gsuite.google.com

Edited by mister_mitch, 16 May 2018 - 11:16.

#2 mulletboy2

mulletboy2

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,969 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:36

Email sending is a bit of an art in these days of massive amounts of spam.

Spf and DKIM are certainly parts of the story. It might be worth running a verification check (using sites i cant remember off the top of my head, but they definitely exist), just to ensure theyre setup correctly.

Those are the easyish bits..

Aside from that, you could be using terms which are getting flagged by spam filters, so look into your subjects, language and email contents for likely causes.

Your ip probably belonged to someone else before it belonged to you. They migut have earned the ip a bad rep, so its already blacklisted. Find the email services a few clients who arent receiving your emails are using, find which blacklists those mail providers use, and confirm your ip or ip range arent flagged on any of the employed blacklists - if it is, you'll need to go throigh the blacklist removal procedures

The last possibpe cause that springs to mind is that you habe a relatively fresh ip, with literally no email reputation. In this case, your spam score will be autonatocally raised, ajd there's little you can do except build your rep, request a new ip, or use the services of a dedicated mail provider (beware, some are bad.. i can advise offline on this)

Hth

"I know that is kind of breaking the laws of Physics, which is what I expect from H.A.T" - Luke Fisher

Hybrid Audio Technologies :: Find us on Facebook

#3 jexdirectedtech

jexdirectedtech

Im all out of wit today.

• 5,935 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 14:19

Whats the domain name and/or IP address?

Gsuite will certainly give you a far better chance.

Take the mick in the classifieds and thou shall have sharp objects thrown at your reproductive organs :)

#4 Paul.S

Paul.S

\\\Welsh

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,780 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 18:57

Whats the domain name and/or IP address?

Gsuite will certainly give you a far better chance.

Yup, any time an of my customers complain about email, I move them to G-Suite and everyone raves about it :)

:: ----- ::
My Milkshake Bringeth,
All Ye Gentlefolk to the Yard,
And they're like,
Its better than thine,
Verilly its better than thine,
I could teach you,
But I must levy a fee.

#5 Bass_Junkie83

Bass_Junkie83

iRegular Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 19:09

With emails I got to a point where I requested a mobile number with every enquiry.  I would then text every new enquiry stating that I had responded to their email and to check their spam folder if they hadn't received it.  

Absolute ball ache, but ran out of options.  Hotmail addresses were the worst.

member of the naff off, I'll finish it when I'm ready club, founded by mulletgit2

Formerly TEAM HYBRIDS

2007 IASCA Rookie 1001+ UK Champion | 2007 IASCA Rookie Eurasian Champion | 2008 IASCA Amateur UK Champion

#6 Mannparry

Mannparry

Forum rent boy.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 19:49

I use hostpresto too, funnily enough on your recommendation  :lol:

Mine do the same! 

Im going back to my IT guy he’s taking over my hosting when he does my new website for me. Tbh hostpreso ime are a load of shit. 

:)

Dyn's on class A

#7 mulletboy2

mulletboy2

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,969 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 21:13

Hotmail, Gmail and Outlook are the worst IME. That's because they're the biggest mail providers and have the strongest/strictest filters.

Without giving info on your IP/domain, no one can say what the cause is without any doubt - it could be any that I listed.

Many places give bad advice on SPF and DKIM, and where some advice would make you think you've done everything right, others will show you the errors of your ways.

This is one site where I've had joy in the past. Run through their tools:

https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

https://mxtoolbox.com/domain/

https://mxtoolbox.co...vestigator.aspx

This is the main and most reliable site I've used:

https://www.unlockth...om/mail-tester/

https://www.unlockth....com/spfwizard/

https://www.unlockth....com/spamscore/

And another:

https://toolbox.goog...m/apps/checkmx/

"I know that is kind of breaking the laws of Physics, which is what I expect from H.A.T" - Luke Fisher

#8 mister_mitch

mister_mitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:23

domain health report is the only one of those that seems to bring anything up...

ERRORS:

DNS Record not found

No DMARC Record found

Primary Name Server Not Listed At Parent

then a further 6 things listed as 'warnings'

Time to do some reading and some learning over the weekend.

Edited by mister_mitch, 18 May 2018 - 12:24.

#9 mulletboy2

mulletboy2

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,969 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 15:47

What's the domain namr?

#10 mister_mitch

mister_mitch

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 14:23

portraitkitchens.co.uk

email is mitchell@