• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fog Loom

Fog Loom

Ex-Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,030 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:37

Anybody got any recommendations for a little self-powered mobile wi-fi thingy?

They seem to run from cheap and shitty looking to expensive and shiny with colour screens and file storage.

I've got a little giffgaff sim on the way that I'm planning to buy a data bundle for. What should I stick it into? :confused:

#2 mx0range

mx0range

coasting downhill

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 14:06

iv been planning to get a Huawei E5330 to try in the car.. maybe get some use out of my ageing nexus 7. cheap enough not to care if its rubbish

JVC KW-V10 - Harman/Kardon CA280 - Hertz Energy es250.3

#3 DEVICES

DEVICES

Legend

• 27,988 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 14:49

I just use my phone to create a wifi hotspot, works fine with my giffgaff sim and netbook.

#4 Fog Loom

Fog Loom

Ex-Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,030 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:57

iv been planning to get a Huawei E5330 to try in the car.. maybe get some use out of my ageing nexus 7. cheap enough not to care if its rubbish

Nice and cheap but it only does 3g. Ideally I need a 4g gizmo.

Can't use the phone for tethering because it's going to be for the child to play Pokémon go on her device when she's out with us. If we tether her to a phone then the GPS on the phone goes to shit because it can't scan other WiFi signals for the agps thing.

#5 ChrisC

ChrisC

Torch lover

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,681 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:47

Nice and cheap but it only does 3g. Ideally I need a 4g gizmo.

Can't use the phone for tethering because it's going to be for the child to play Pokémon go on her device when she's out with us. If we tether her to a phone then the GPS on the phone goes to shit because it can't scan other WiFi signals for the agps thing.

That is exactly what a mobile hotspot does - It creates a wifi network.

Maybe download one of the many GPS assist apps (GPS Status) to make sure everything is setup okay with the phone. Download the gps data regularly and you should find it'll get a better lock.

[url="http://www.chriscliftonphotography.com"]www.chriscliftonphotography.com[/url]

#6 Fog Loom

Fog Loom

Ex-Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,030 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 18:57

That is exactly what a mobile hotspot does - It creates a wifi network.

I'm not fucking daft. :D

Using the phone as a hotspot fucks up the aGPS because it can't read all the other wifi access points around the place. It's mostly fine outdoors and in open areas but it can go a bit wonky if you're somewhere like a city centre or indoors. Try it yourself. :)

Edited by Fog Loom, 17 May 2018 - 18:57.

#7 ChrisC

ChrisC

Torch lover

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,681 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 15:31

So you want to play pokemongo TOO?

I spent a couple of years playing ingress like a mad man before pokego was out.

[url="http://www.chriscliftonphotography.com"]www.chriscliftonphotography.com[/url]

#8 Fog Loom

Fog Loom

Ex-Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,030 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 16:53

Yeah I want to play too! Caught me a bunch of shiny charmanders today!

And if anyone's interested, I found an old Huawei 3g hotspot in a box of junk. Pokémon go was actually fine with those speeds. I think it only used about 40mb over about for hours. So the dongle and a £5 gigabag from Giffgaff sorted us all out in the end. Woo! :D

#9 boring tdi

boring tdi

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 17:07

Yeah I want to play too! Caught me a bunch of shiny charmanders today!

And if anyone's interested, I found an old Huawei 3g hotspot in a box of junk. Pokémon go was actually fine with those speeds. I think it only used about 40mb over about for hours. So the dongle and a £5 gigabag from Giffgaff sorted us all out in the end. Woo! :D

You play pogo much, fog? I run my local group of about 140 players (50 or so regular), met up with 2 other groups in our local town for community day today, was so funny seeing 100ish people hitting a raid at the parks current eligible EX gym :D

Ross

#10 Fog Loom

Fog Loom

Ex-Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,030 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:27

You play pogo much, fog? I run my local group of about 140 players (50 or so regular), met up with 2 other groups in our local town for community day today, was so funny seeing 100ish people hitting a raid at the parks current eligible EX gym :D

Yeah, it gets me out of the house and into the sunshine! The girlfriend plays too so on the community days we let the child have an old phone without a sim in it and we can all go for a wander.

It's a total slog to level up once you're past 30 though... I'm only 900000xp away from level 35.

It's educational too. I'm using it to try and teach the kid about client side and server side interactions. :D

#11 boring tdi

boring tdi

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:37

I'm about the same place as you then, I'm 600k away from 35 :lol: Agreed about xp, its crazy after 30, I'm 34 of 40 levels but only 5.5m of 20 needed to get there. One guy in my group has over 40m xp  :blink: I just haven't got the energy to grind like that.

PoGo is a brilliant way to get people out and about, I have ASD and don't work so its been a great way for me to get out, interact with a few people and get some exercise, hopefully I can get to a place where I can get a job.

Ross

#12 Rug Doctor

Rug Doctor

Legend

• 18,528 posts

Posted Today, 07:38

I have an EE 4G sim in a Teltonika router and it’s fabulous. Always finds the network and is as fast as f. 

I’ll find you a link. 

https://www.3grouter...-4G-Router.html