• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mannparry

Mannparry

Forum rent boy.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:29

I’m using an XS power XE12 as an all in one system and starter battery. I know this isn’t ideal and will be putting a split charge system in the van. 

The problem im having since recently is the battery wont seem to hold charge, I’m not sure it’s even getting a charge from the alternator, certainly not what it should be.

iv noticed the voltage change via the processor, if I turn it up it can drop as low as 10v but it’s also jumping up to over 15v sometimes? 

Does this mean my alternator is fucked ? 

Also so what’s the crack with charging these AGM batteries? I read a thread recently which I now can’t find saying you can’t use a Ctek charger. Does this now mean my Ctek is rendered useless? 

Dyn's on class A

#2 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:00

You should first establish your alternator is working. Having voltage jump from 10v to 15v sounds wrong as you say. With the engine running put the multimeter on the battery, it should be stable regardless of revs. If not the regulator is gone.

AGMs can benefit from perioidic maintenance charging anyway which many people don't do. - If you put a multimeter on the battery (engine off) it will tell you its storage capacity by its resting voltage. There is a chart on the XS power website. On my alfa the standard alternator would not keep the battery topped up full alone even with the long runs it had for example.

Contact AM at blade ice directly if you need technical support on his products. RE the ctek.

Voltage at the processor could also be to do with the cable to the processor and is not necessarily the voltage of the rest of the circuit. Check at the battery before you are certain something is wrong - my alfa would report 1 volt less at the processor than at the battery.

#3 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 19:45

Measure the voltage first with a good multi meter instead off the voltage display off your processor, measure first directly on the battery with and without 

te engine running and then with he same with the system playing. 

A good sounding car is a careful mix of art and science. 

#4 Mannparry

Mannparry

Forum rent boy.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 21:30

Thanks for the info. I’ll check with a multi meter tomorrow but fwiw using the voltage display on the processor, it’s stable at around 14-14.4v without any music playing, it’s only when the system is turned up that the voltage starts to change dramatically. The system isn’t playing right at all I can hear it, it’s lacking the ability to play the full range even at low levels suggesting a serious lack in power. I do a lot of miles in the van on a daily basis, upto 2-300 a day with only a couple of stops and it’s still not getting any real charge in the battery. 

One thing I didn’t mention is there’s a slipping belt noise coming from the engine which has developed in the past couple of weeks which could be the alternator belt. Iv got the van booked in Wednesday to have it sorted. It wasn’t till today I mentioned the charging issue to a friend and he thinks the problem could be related. 

After reading up on the Ctek Mxs 25 charger I’m pretty much convinced there shouldn’t be any issues charging the battery, it states in the specs 12v 40-500ah and all types of batteries including agm. 

Not sure what thread I read about Ctek chargers recently but it got me concerned about charging the battery and causing long term damage. I’ll speak to Am tomorrow just to make sure. 

Dyn's on class A

#5 p.s.sound

p.s.sound

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:12

I have the same charger, you shouldn't worry about anything, CTEK is clever stuff. 

EMMA UK Champion 2015 - Advanced Unlimited

EMMA UK Champion 2017 - Multimedia Skilled 2.1

EMMA European Champion 2017 - Multimedia Skilled 2.1

Audible Physics UK, Audiotec Fisher - Match / Helix / Brax, Tchernov Cable, Fiio

#6 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 17:34

you can charge the battery safely with the ctek charger as long as you don't leave it on for a very long time.

If the voltage only drops with the system on it could be down to bad wiring or bad ground points or other connections but first you need to know what it does at the battery it self.

#7 Ryan.

Ryan.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,277 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 18:49

tonny. The ctek has a maintanence mode. They can be left charging indefinetely which is what most of them do, left on weekend cars for 90% of the year.

Mannparry. First thing id do is measure the voltage with the engine running (not using stereo etc) then test it with the engine off. Engine off you should be seeing 14v+ (unless you have a silly smart charging system on your car) and something between 12.5-13v floating.

The regulator may have packed up causing incorrect charging from the alternator.

2008 Street A: 145.8.................................................................2013: Street B: 149.1  - Uk Champion
2009 Street A: 145.9                                                                 2014: Street B: 150.7  - Uk Champion
2010 2nd in Street C: 138.1 (1 12" + 250wrms)                        2015: Street B: 150.8 - Uk Champion
2011 Street C: 147.9                                                                 2016: Street Stock NL: 151.4 - Uk Champion
2011 Monster: 157.8 (12" and 9wrms)
2012 Street B: 148.1

Atomic, Digital Designs - Powered by XS Power

#8 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 20:43

tonny. The ctek has a maintanence mode. They can be left charging indefinetely which is what most of them do, left on weekend cars for 90% of the year.

I know but that will kill your battery also, if a battery is not used it will suffer from power loss.... if you want to keep a battery in a good condition use it! 

#9 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:10

One thing I didn’t mention is there’s a slipping belt noise coming from the engine which has developed in the past couple of weeks which could be the alternator belt. Iv got the van booked in Wednesday to have it sorted. It wasn’t till today I mentioned the charging issue to a friend and he thinks the problem could be related. 

Have you sorted your belt yet?

#10 Mannparry

Mannparry

Forum rent boy.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:12

Yes all sorted although Iv not used the van much since or had the time to test anything. Note from my local garage was everything working as it should be.

Dyn's on class A