• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EF MAX

EF MAX

Dr. E

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:57

Of those of you running tubeless, I am just about to dip my feet into the water - so what sealant do you all recommend and any preference to rim tape - rims are carbon and 65mm - also are any choices on the valve front or are all equal... cheers..

Staying In Touch with: Dr. E. Fenty

#2 Twonks

Twonks

Legend

• 6,039 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 21:30

65mm carbon rims? Is it a bike or a floatation device :P

I've used Stans fluid for years but recently switched to Hutchinson from Decathlon as it is supposed to stay liquid a bit longer and not ball up into a latex monster.

Tape wise, some swear by gorilla tap or other cheap skate solutions. I figure that propper tape isn't much more expensive and its never let me down.

Go for 5mm wider than the internal width of the rim, start a few inches past the valve hole, pull it tight as you go and over lap about a couple of inches at the close.

Then a brad through the valve hole and push a stans valve in. Inflates straight away 99 times out of 100, although I use a pump with a 250 PSI storage section that seats the tyre instantly if required.

#3 EF MAX

EF MAX

Dr. E

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 13:01

65mm carbon rims? Is it a bike or a floatation device :P

I've used Stans fluid for years but recently switched to Hutchinson from Decathlon as it is supposed to stay liquid a bit longer and not ball up into a latex monster.

Tape wise, some swear by gorilla tap or other cheap skate solutions. I figure that propper tape isn't much more expensive and its never let me down.

Go for 5mm wider than the internal width of the rim, start a few inches past the valve hole, pull it tight as you go and over lap about a couple of inches at the close.

Then a brad through the valve hole and push a stans valve in. Inflates straight away 99 times out of 100, although I use a pump with a 250 PSI storage section that seats the tyre instantly if required.

65mm... experimenting with a new 27.5+ full suss frame so it will handle 4" wide tyres so giving it a whirl to see how I feel.

Someone else mentioned the Decathlon stuff and also FRONT LINE are making some bold statements aboutt heir stuff lasting for the life of the tyre and not drying out.

I am hoping that the rims come with tape but if they don't then I may have to wrap the widest I can find and go around twice.. after posting yesterday I then found some nice Nutrak Schrader Valve Tubeless and I treated myself to a compression pump like you suggested.

#4 Twonks

Twonks

Legend

• 6,039 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 19:54

I'd check to make sure a plus bike can take 4" tyres and tbh that's not the way I'd go. I fancied a fat tyred bike so got myself an on one fatty with carbon fork. That had 80mm rims and 4" tyres and was a real laugh. Climb up anything, grip where others failed and just downright hilarious.

Trouble is, it was also very rigid and quite ponderous, so I got rid.

Then built up a 27.5+ Dartmoor Primal Plus hard tail with 40mm rims and 2.8" Nobby Nics. Very nearly the grip of the fat bike but a lot more capable as a trail centre basher.

Then a couple of months ago bought a 27.5+ full suspension (NS Snabb plus) frame new and transfered the bits from the HT.

Now after riding my main 26" lovely carbon full suspension Ibis, I realised it wasn't as nice to ride or as capable as the snabb and its plus tyres.

Tried the Snabb with 29" wheels but didn't like it so only this evening have finished swapping bits over from the Ibis onto the Snabb so it is now my main bike.

Upshot of all that is that as an all rounder I think the 2.8" tyre makes a wonderful bike and would advise you to have a go.

Unless it will be ridden purely on snow or sand, in which case a full fat bike with silly low gears :D

#5 EF MAX

EF MAX

Dr. E

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 15:44

Well I found Schwalbe make a 65mm tape so I got two rolls and I have settled for a set of WTB Ranger tyres that I found in Germany, I got a 2.8 & 3.0 to see what I think when they are up and running and got some of that stuff from Decathlon to try tubeless sealant and give it a go.. Thanks for the input guys.

#6 Twonks

Twonks

Legend

• 6,039 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 20:44

Sorry to say this, but I think you have things mixed up a bit.

2.8 and 3.0 are great plus tyre sizes but they are too narrow for 65mm rims. Forcing the tyre onto a rim that wide will lead to a very square and possibly dangerous tyre profile.

I use 40mm internal rims with Nobby Nic 2.8 tyres and wouldn't want to go any wider with the rim.

65mm probably is better for a 4" tyre as you originally said, but 4" tyres won't fit in a plus frame - they are full fat bike size.