Seeking 2 X 10" sound quality subs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 08shandw

08shandw

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:53

Hello guys so I'm upgrading to a helix p6 so the subwoofer channels are 2ohms each. I'm currently using the peerless xls 10 subs which are great but there only single 4ohm so cant use them in my new setup so will be selling them
Any recommended subs?
Thanks
Peugeot RCZ GT, Audison Voce 5.1k Amp, Audison Bit One DSP, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6 Mids, Hybrid Audio Unity U2 Widebands, 2x Peerless xls10 in Sealed Box

#2 SQashqai

SQashqai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:15

Using higher impedance subs is fine.

2015 EMMA UK Master OEM League Champion

FiiO TAISHAN - Helix V Eight DSP - ?

#3 frostbite

frostbite

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 13:57

Why 2 just out of interest?

Did you sort out the problem you had with your set up last time?

Roanapur is an old Thai port in southern Thailand, where the deserters of the Vietnam war took refuge and were joined by the worst villains and criminals of the world.

Prostitutes, drug-addicts, mercenaries, killers and psychopaths of any nationalities compose the population of Roanapur.

#4 08shandw

08shandw

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 14:10

4ohm subs only give me 240rms if I go 2ohm subs I get 480rms each so makes sense

Yes I got it all sorted mate.
Cheers
Doesn't have to be 2 could be one sub but do like the look of 2 subs
Peugeot RCZ GT, Audison Voce 5.1k Amp, Audison Bit One DSP, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6 Mids, Hybrid Audio Unity U2 Widebands, 2x Peerless xls10 in Sealed Box

#5 Haakon

Haakon

It's cold here

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 16:56

Get a 2ohm dual voice coil subwoofer to get any decent power out of a P SIX. Preferably something that isn't too demanding of power to perform well. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.facebook.com/ottesendesign

#6 Mannparry

Mannparry

Forum rent boy.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 17:39

Can you not bridge the sub channels and run the 2 4ohm subs you have in parallel to show 2 ohm? Or does that gain nothing?  

Dyn's on class A

#7 08shandw

08shandw

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 17:54

No the p6 doesn't let you bridge ☹️
Yes this why I'm asking on opinions for subwoofers I want sq not SPL.

#8 Twonks

Twonks

Legend

• 6,039 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 19:15

How do you work out that a 2 ohm sub will get over 400 from the p-six?

A dual 2 ohm sub will get something like by running it from 2 channels and linking through software, but it won’t generate that power from one channel. 

I’d look into a 2 ohm dual voice coil sub as above. Even then, the p six is a bit weak with sub bass imho. 

Much better to use it’s processing to go to an external sub amp, then use whatever sub you want. 

#9 08shandw

08shandw

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 20:16

Yeah sorry was getting the specs mixed up, any recommendations for subs??

#10 Twonks

Twonks

Legend

• 6,039 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:48

If you can find one, the Ground Zero SQ10 is supposed to be good.

http://www.ground-ze...gzuw-10sqx.html

I use an unknown German Maestro 3Sub12, which sounds good in a 23l sealed enclosure, but having just changed the power to a much larger amp it sounds a lot better.

http://www.german-ma...udio/subwoofer/

Some of Helix own subs are well rated too.

If your after SQ rather than ultimate volume, you could also try running the XLS 10 off one channel.

I have one and did exactly that. It wasn't loud but it was still very musical, and that was with the sub on the back seat so should be a bit louder with some loading in the boot.

#11 08shandw

08shandw

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:58

Hmmmm I'm gonna try my two xls10 and see how they sound

#12 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:08

Echo the SQ10 or SQ8 from Ground Zero. Wicked SQ subs and used in the 48hr build off that also uses the PSix : http://emmanet.uk/2018/05/06/815ground-zero/

This would be good if you wanted only 1 sub as they are dual 2. If you wanted to run two 10s to keep your box you will need subs that are dual 4ohm.

#13 Haakon

Haakon

It's cold here

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:40

From own experience with the P SIX, try to get a sub that is pretty efficient. Preferably with an enclosure that helps a bit with efficiency (ported, t-line etc). 

I'm not saying that you should avoid sealed boxes, but don't choose a driver that relies on huge amounts of power to shine. Typical driver that is made to play well in small enclosures usually has a low sensitivity, high moving mass and great power handling. 

I've actually used a GZ SQ8 with my p six, and later a Hydrogen series 8" from GZ (very good 8" driver), but none of them really came to their own until I added a small monoblock to power them. 

Got a decent result with a (now discontinued) Focal 33KX with 2x2ohm voice coils, in a large sealed enclosure. Now I'm running the p six on front components alone, and a Helix SPXL1000 for sub duties. Best combo I've used in years. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:43

I've actually used a GZ SQ8 with my p six, and later a Hydrogen series 8" from GZ (very good 8" driver), but none of them really came to their own until I added a small monoblock to power them. 

How big was the box for the SQ8? I.e. was it the recommended enclosure size? (And still didn't perform as you wanted?)

#15 Haakon

Haakon

It's cold here

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 17:25

They performed well, but it made a big difference when swapping out the p six for a more powerful monoblock, and just using the DSP feature of the p six to control the monoblock. 

Had them each in their own 15 liter sealed enclosures. 

#16 jon120+

jon120+

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 18:08

Hi Haakon,

Did you run the 2 GZ 8's at 4 ohm or 1 ohm?.

Trying to work out minimum power they need in your opinion?

Was thinking of running off P6 but will heed your advice.

The spxl1000 has quite a large footprint but 750wrms at 4 ohms.

My G1 (hasn't sold) is 920wrms at 1 ohm with a smaller footprint.

Most expensive is P2 but the smallest footprint 2x480wrms at 2 ohms

Just weighing up options?

Thanks..

#17 tonny

tonny

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 19:43

such a dsp/amp combo is fine for a simple system, but for a good sq system normale AB amp's will preform better... 

Also control over the drivers is better with normal amp's with a big power supply.

A good sounding car is a careful mix of art and science. 

#18 AZIM

AZIM

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:51

such a dsp/amp combo is fine for a simple system, but for a good sq system normale AB amp's will preform better... 

Also control over the drivers is better with normal amp's with a big power supply.

I was thinking the same ...

Helix dsp with a decent 5 channel amp for the win .

Head unit Pioneer p88rs Amp Audison Lrx 5.1K Spk Audison Voce 6.5  Tweeter Dls Nordica Sub DLS Nordica 12

#19 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:50

I was thinking the same ...

Helix dsp with a decent 5 channel amp for the win .

I don't disagree, but when you factor in the cost of a DSP and a decent quality amplifier vs the Psix... the Psix is great value for money... If you already own a very special amplifier then fair enough, if looking to buy both I struggle to think of an amplifier (including the cost of a DSP) in the budget of a Psix that will outperform it.

#20 AZIM

AZIM

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted Today, 12:46

The only issue with the Psix is ,that it lacks the balls in the sub department ..

Head unit Pioneer p88rs Amp Audison Lrx 5.1K Spk Audison Voce 6.5  Tweeter Dls Nordica Sub DLS Nordica 12