• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 -Autoboy-

-Autoboy-

-------------

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 15:42

Worth having one or should I steer well clear? I am looking at renewing my utilities and the standing charge is around 50% off if you agree to get a smart meter installed. It is tempting, however, you get the usual privacy advocates saying "no don't do it, they can turn off your supply remotely, spy on your energy usage" blah blah blah.

View?

www.propperdroppers.co.uk

Autos...autos are quicker.
Autos are more consistent.
Autos can be built to be bulletproof.
Autos don't allow missed shifts.
Autos are better in traffic.
Autos are easily rebuildable.

#2 Simonh

Simonh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 16:07

basically they are now bribing/threatening people to get their hands on their data.

Doing it is not enough - it has to be done right.

#3 markwalker84

markwalker84

(.Y.)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 16:31

Who the fuck cares if someone knows how much gas I use?

Current build log

http://www.talkaudio...years-exciting/

Started as a £200 budget build in a 206

Pretty sure I've spent half of that just on a boot build now  :win:

#4 -Autoboy-

-Autoboy-

-------------

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 16:58

basically they are now bribing/threatening people to get their hands on their data.

My usual provider basically said "our best tariff comes with the condition that you install a smart meter." Basically have one installed and we save you some £ if not we will deliberately put you on an expensive tariff. Bye bye I said.

www.propperdroppers.co.uk

Autos...autos are quicker.
Autos are more consistent.
Autos can be built to be bulletproof.
Autos don't allow missed shifts.
Autos are better in traffic.
Autos are easily rebuildable.

#5 Jammy B

Jammy B

typical jammy b@stard!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 17:00

Who the fuck cares if someone knows how much gas I use?

This.

It’s like all Cambridge Analytica kerfuffle.

I signed up to social media, it’s free. I don’t care what they know or glean off social media of me. I put it there. They’ll use it.

Like the GDPR thing. All it did in my office is make 2 old ladies argue over who should have access to everything to go through it.

Edited by Jammy B, 08 May 2018 - 17:01.

#6 Simonh

Simonh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 18:47

A big part of my job involves data, both the security of and the use of.

it is genuinely scary what can be done with “useless” data, and even more scary how bad many big companies are at securing it.

Doing it is not enough - it has to be done right.

#7 ghost_walker

ghost_walker

project almost done :)

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 20:24

the meter is not capable of turning off your electric remotely . no one sits with a bank of switches saying, yup no14 twat row, dummyshire, turn him off.

the only one that does that either smart or not is a prepayment meter, but as soon as you top up it's back on. nothing remote about it.

there is legal laws mostly created by ofgem and EU preventing this, and to turn someone off is difficult and usually results in a prepayment meter being fitted and if you don't top it up you cut yourself off. but in the time i've been doing the job (i work in the energy sector) i've only came across one where the meter was forcibly fitted and thats was 5 years ago, after several letters, phone calls, visits and a court appearance.

if it was america well thats a different ballgame. 

That which does not kill me probably got the poor bugger beside me.

#8 Lord Lucan

Lord Lucan

Wibbly-wobbly

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:42

Had a smart meter for around 3 years or so now...big fuss over nothing.  Mine has stopped working partly and my provider doesn`t care enough to fix it.  It submits actual readings on your behalf which I find saves me time and effort so that made it worth having for me. 

R.I.P. Harry Bo 1984-2010

I am officially a bumbaclut!

#9 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:57

I find the name highly misleading.

A 'smart' meter for me will have things like the capability to switch on/off appliances based on the variable price, on the amount of power your solar panels are producing, etc., etc.

As long as such a meter with those options is not commonplace, I find my own Ferraris meter many, MANY, (did I say "many"?) times smarter than a 'smart meter'. It can add and substract all by itself instead of having to rely on a moron in the powercompany to have to do this for you (what happened to many people with a smart meter with 4 counters is that the solarpower they put back into the grid was ADDED to their usage instead of subtracted... :blink: )

So if you have solarpanels, I would highly advice to keep the Ferraris meter (depending on the rules in GB, and if you still have one: for me in NL it makes sense to keep it as long as they will let me). If not, it's a case of you trusting the powercompanies with the data they gather from you and how safe they will keep it, which in turn also depends on how much data you are already voluntarily throwing into the world...

Edited by R-P, 14 May 2018 - 12:01.

If a man says he will fix it, he will.

There is no need to remind him every 6 months.

#10 Jammy B

Jammy B

typical jammy b@stard!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 19:50

I find the name highly misleading.

A 'smart' meter for me will have things like the capability to switch on/off appliances based on the variable price, on the amount of power your solar panels are producing, etc., etc.

As long as such a meter with those options is not commonplace, I find my own Ferraris meter many, MANY, (did I say "many"?) times smarter than a 'smart meter'. It can add and substract all by itself instead of having to rely on a moron in the powercompany to have to do this for you (what happened to many people with a smart meter with 4 counters is that the solarpower they put back into the grid was ADDED to their usage instead of subtracted... :blink: )

So if you have solarpanels, I would highly advice to keep the Ferraris meter (depending on the rules in GB, and if you still have one: for me in NL it makes sense to keep it as long as they will let me). If not, it's a case of you trusting the powercompanies with the data they gather from you and how safe they will keep it, which in turn also depends on how much data you are already voluntarily throwing into the world...

Ferrari’s?

#11 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:31

Ferrari’s?

:raz:

Ferraris. May not be used (anymore) in the UK. If so, then you won't have a clue what I am on about :whatever: But the silver horizontal disc (below pic) only runs in one direction (hence the arrow) but when adding solarpanels, it will also run (and count) backwards*. Speed of rotating disc depends on power usage. There has been an instance in my home where it ran backwards, but slower than I expected, so something was using almost all solarpower I was producing. Turns out one of the kids didn't close the freezer correctly, so quite lucky I caught that... A 'smart' meter will also show what power is being used, but I doubt it would have been so visually informative as the disc was and therefor I am not at all sure I would have caught the open-freezer-door with a smart meter...

ferrarismeter_draaischijfmeter.jpg

* Beware some Ferraris meters have a failsafe preventing them to run backwards! Mine hasn't, so I am trying to balance my daytime use with my night/weekend use: we wash at night because the energy is slightly cheaper, but since I added 5000Wp in solrpanels (half in September, half in December), the night/weekend meter went up 1000kWh (only 2 days/week feeding energy back into the grid and whole family at home using energy) and the day meter (5 days/week feeding energy back, most of the family at school/work) is slightly below (60kWh) what it started at. With the summer still ahead before the panels have been wotking for a full year, I think the net use should be close to zero.

Edited by R-P, 16 May 2018 - 17:38.

If a man says he will fix it, he will.

There is no need to remind him every 6 months.

#12 Lord Lucan

Lord Lucan

Wibbly-wobbly

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:40

I can't speak for others but on my Solar PV system (installed before I bought the house) it has a seperate solar generation digital meter to record units generated and a seperate supply digital meter for my consumption. I pay my consumption bills as normal and then claim back my solar generation in arrears by supplying readings to my provider. 

I'm hoping before long to see more affordable battery solutions for domestic use so that I can 'store' the electricity generated during the day whilst I'm at work to be used in the evenings when I'm home and using things quite heavily. The last I saw Tesla had a few offerings ranging from £8-12k

#13 Bass_Junkie83

Bass_Junkie83

iRegular Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:46

I will be quite happy to get a smart meter when they become available from our provider.  I constantly forget to submit meter readings and end up with estimated bills, over the course of three years we went from supposedly underpaying and being ~£500 in debt, having our payments massively increased and ending up with a ~£900 surplus!  

member of the naff off, I'll finish it when I'm ready club, founded by mulletgit2

Formerly TEAM HYBRIDS

2007 IASCA Rookie 1001+ UK Champion | 2007 IASCA Rookie Eurasian Champion | 2008 IASCA Amateur UK Champion

#14 Lord Lucan

Lord Lucan

Wibbly-wobbly

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:55

I will be quite happy to get a smart meter when they become available from our provider.  I constantly forget to submit meter readings and end up with estimated bills, over the course of three years we went from supposedly underpaying and being ~£500 in debt, having our payments massively increased and ending up with a ~£900 surplus!  

Hopefully it won't be too much longer...I think the deadline was extended to 2020 as they realised they didn`t stand a chance of meeting the previous deadline.  If you end up switching to E-on make sure they give you the 3rd gen meter as it's much better apparently. I've got a 1st gen one and it only partly works...I can see my consumption in kwh but not pounds/pence. It still submits my readings thankfully. 

#15 Bass_Junkie83

Bass_Junkie83

iRegular Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:02

Hopefully it won't be too much longer...I think the deadline was extended to 2020 as they realised they didn`t stand a chance of meeting the previous deadline.  If you end up switching to E-on make sure they give you the 3rd gen meter as it's much better apparently. I've got a 1st gen one and it only partly works...I can see my consumption in kwh but not pounds/pence. It still submits my readings thankfully. 

I have recently switched to bulb.  Apparently they are waiting for the release of the next gen smart meter, whichever that is, before they start rolling them out to customers.

member of the naff off, I'll finish it when I'm ready club, founded by mulletgit2

Formerly TEAM HYBRIDS

2007 IASCA Rookie 1001+ UK Champion | 2007 IASCA Rookie Eurasian Champion | 2008 IASCA Amateur UK Champion

#16 Jammy B

Jammy B

typical jammy b@stard!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 17:04

I have recently switched to bulb.  Apparently they are waiting for the release of the next gen smart meter, whichever that is, before they start rolling them out to customers.

Bulb customer here.

Was TOTO before that. Toto fitted smart meters to my gas / electric.

Bulb can’t read them.

Bulb took final readings from TOTO. Then asked for readings.

It took kWh readings thinking m3. Then applied calc to reach kWh.

£450 gas use in one month? I don’t think so!

Took a few weeks to sort. But it’s all good now.

£95 a month for gas / electric. 4 bed house.

#17 happychappy

happychappy

Keep on smilin.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:33

Smart meters = another job lost.  :cry:

Happy member

#18 Bass_Junkie83

Bass_Junkie83

iRegular Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:31

Smart meters = another job lost.  :cry:

Who's job? 

Formerly TEAM HYBRIDS

#19 Agi

Agi

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:22

Who's job? 

The bloke who walks round and knocks your door and says "Hi mate, i'm Steve from british gas, i've come to read your meter?" 
Even though for atleast the last 10 years (of installation) they have had the ability to just drive down the road and take meter readings.

Wide acceptance of an idea is not proof of its validity.

#20 Bass_Junkie83

Bass_Junkie83

iRegular Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,165 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:38

The bloke who walks round and knocks your door and says "Hi mate, i'm Steve from british gas, i've come to read your meter?" 
Even though for atleast the last 10 years (of installation) they have had the ability to just drive down the road and take meter readings.

I thought meter readers were long gone anyway, not seen one round here for probably 10 years at least.  I thought everyone submitted their own meter readings these days?

Formerly TEAM HYBRIDS