• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 EF MAX

EF MAX

Dr. E

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 14:08

ALways used this oil in the past BUT - Is this still the number one oil in this area for turbo diesels or is there better performance/money out there as the choice is a bit overwhelming? Cheers.

Staying In Touch with: Dr. E. Fenty

#2 Simonh

Simonh

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 14:33

speak to opie oils about what they recommend for your car.

Doing it is not enough - it has to be done right.

#3 tej

tej

///M

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,999 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 14:51

Which car and how much do you care about it? :)

Out of the oils I've used on diesels- 

Triple QX - seems to have all the approvals, but the 530d ran quite noisy on it - I probably wouldn't use it again tbh. 

Millers nanotech - Having used it on the 530d and CR-V, they both ran quietly , smoothly and the brand seems to be held in good regard in the UK

Castrol - can't really go wrong, most regard it as the 'Best' but it comes at a price.

I just did an oil change on the CR-V yesterday using Millers and for what I always thought was just a noisy engine has really quietened down. The different is honestly night and day. I'm not sure what was in there before , but it was probably wasn't the best oil. 

#4 crisc204

crisc204

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 20:57

Triple QX is not acceptable quality IMHO

Against the Big brands They meet the requirements but its like me running 100M's next to Usain 
He finishes grinning ready for another 100m I finish like QX  makes the grade barely across the line wheezing

Any of the Branded Oils on Offer at factors in the order I like them
Mobile, Castrol, Shell, Petronas,

Millers gets good reviews but never used it.

VW own Brand is usually stupidly cheap at VW TPS if you know anyone local

If this is for the Tdi bus you recently bought
It must be the correct oil for a VW Tdi PD engine 

They get very humpy with the wrong oil or cheap oil 

www.911rrr.com

#5 EF MAX

EF MAX

Dr. E

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 21:05

2007 VW Touran 2.0TDi Sport. DSG Gearbox and a rolling road test is showing around 200BHP and about 400ibs/ft.. it gets run quite hard but not every day.

Quietness and smoothness is important to me and at £45/4litres cost is not really a factor anymore and Mobile One was never cheap. I am interested by what others have said and any pointers on the gearbox oils is all appreciated.. cheers.

#6 adrimo

adrimo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 22:07

I use Petronas oils seem very good to me and no issues in my turbo smart or my 3.3 voyager

I'm a big boy and I like my toys

#7 Chas is back!

Chas is back!

80s Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,841 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 22:33

Like a few I noticed that one of our Mondeos was noticably noisier on Triple QX. It was silent on Mobil 1.  I have heard somewhere that Triple QX is recycled oil.

As said, speak to Opie. It depends on the car. For both of my cars for example:

-the Mercedes will run on almost anything inside. ATM it's on Comma 10W40.

-The M3 is a little different. It's a can of worms but the only approved oils out there are Castrol Edge FST 10W60 or Shell Helix. I assume it's the same story for Tej's E90.

-The BL stuff. For years I ran them on cheap 20W50. The gamechanger was the Stag. I bought Valvoline VR1 for that to see how it ran; it was recommended. It actually made a difference. I gained a bit with hot oil pressure and also it seemed to stay cleaner between changes, despite it apparently having less detergent in it over other oils.

In your case I'd be tempted to go with a VW507.00 oil with one of the big brands for the oil. Castrol or Mobil; I doubt you'll go wrong with either.

Oh, and Cris is right. I have first hand experience of a PD camshaft shitting itself with the wrong oil/skipped changes. If your have a PD engined car, only VW505.01 (yes that is in bold; many people will try and fob off 505.00 to you as it's cheaper and "we're saving ya money man...") or VW507.00 should be used unless it's a DPF engine. then 507.00 is your only choice.

Edited by Chas is back!, 08 May 2018 - 22:39.

Money will not make you happy, but at least you will be miserable in comfort. 

http://www.leylandlegends.com/

#8 crisc204

crisc204

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 00:21

2007 VW Touran 2.0TDi Sport. DSG Gearbox and a rolling road test is showing around 200BHP and about 400ibs/ft.. it gets run quite hard but not every day.

Quietness and smoothness is important to me and at £45/4litres cost is not really a factor anymore and Mobile One was never cheap. I am interested by what others have said and any pointers on the gearbox oils is all appreciated.. cheers.

You probably should have lead with that. 400ft lbs bit 

My workshop uses as default Mobile or Manufacturer Oils as per factory fill to year/model spec. 

My own cars anything premium brand on offer Magnatec Mobil1 etc 

...Comma, Triple Qmess any of that rubbish no chance.

Check out Opie oils they have decent prices most of the time

Fully Synth. meeting original requirements from VW serv. handbook

DSG Oil and filter.

Change early Before its due. I think its every 40K on those.

Realistically you do one now and you may not do another for 3 years

After a major failure when sticking to VW serv intervals...

I then find the lease firms didn't always stick to recommended gearbox oil changes when DSG's were a new thing

coming off autos that were sealed for life... there was no column on the spreadsheet...

I was looking at the broken parts and its working pretty hard and the Oil was very dirty so change the oil simples.

After that I was changing DSG juice at 50% of recommended miles on our keeper cars  

I also thought having no filter on the early 7spds was a dumbass idea...

Yours is six speed and has a filter also it is the heavier duty running gear which is much higher torque rating

Now VW found the issue with early DSG's 6 and 7 spd and changed the Oil specs.

it was the oil... 

I wont bore you with the working out from months ago it... became conductive over time and the gearbox control gubbiins are electronic...

in short

Buy direct from TPS or VW

DSG oil and filter earlier than 40K 

www.911rrr.com

#9 EF MAX

EF MAX

Dr. E

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:40

I totally appreciate all of the feedback here, especially you 

crisc204

#10 Lord Lucan

Lord Lucan

Wibbly-wobbly

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:00

Was in Costco over the weekend and noticed they had Mobil 1 0-40w 5 litres for just under 29 quid....not a bad price considering.

R.I.P. Harry Bo 1984-2010

I am officially a bumbaclut!

#11 frostbite

frostbite

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 21:18

I use Chevron 5w30 fully synth, 20L for £40 from cosco

Not running a diesel but it is in a hot 6cyl and seems to cope well

Roanapur is an old Thai port in southern Thailand, where the deserters of the Vietnam war took refuge and were joined by the worst villains and criminals of the world.

Prostitutes, drug-addicts, mercenaries, killers and psychopaths of any nationalities compose the population of Roanapur.