Accurately setting crossover points in amplifier

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 E46SQ

E46SQ

• 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 21:39

Hello good people,

I need some help with setting up crossover points from my amps.

I've got a set of Morel Elate 6.5 midwoofers and Morel Supremo Piccolo tweeters which I want to set up active. I have 02 Precision Power PC650.2 amps, one for the Elates and one for the Piccolos. I am planning to set them up to my front channels splitting them up with Y-cables and then actively setting the crossover points at the amps.

Now my question is, since the crossovers is setup by turning an analog knob and not digital, 1) what is the best crossover point for this setup and 2) how do I know that the Lowpass(Mids)/Highpass(Tweeters) are setup perfectly at that point?

Cheers.

PS: I'm attaching a photo of the amp controls. Attached File  pc6502.jpg   40.86KB   0 downloads

#2 Canadian

Canadian

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:11

would an amps crossover be trust worthy? I heard in the past that they can be off by a significant degree and if older can get much worse?

#3 E46SQ

E46SQ

• 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:25

would an amps crossover be trust worthy? I heard in the past that they can be off by a significant degree and if older can get much worse?

Yeah I kinda guessed that. What I want to know is that is there any way to find out the cut off frequency by ear? For example play a test tone at around 2200Hz and fine tune until the sound from the speakers actually start rolling off. Or maybe using a multimeter?

I'm gonna save some money and get a Helix DSP Pro 2 but until then any ideas would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

#4 SQashqai

SQashqai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:57

You'll need some measurement software e.g. https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ and a measurement microphone to do it properly.

Adjust both sides until they are similar. Once you get a DSP, you can then start to shape the roll-off so mid/tweet sum correctly at the crossover point.

2015 EMMA UK Master OEM League Champion

FiiO TAISHAN - Helix V Eight DSP - ?

#5 Canadian

Canadian

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:14

your amps uses 12db slope while the Morel supremo kit uses a 24db slope at 2200hz with that said I would opt for a 2600hz cutting since the amp has 12db slopes.

now considering these amps can be off by as far as %15 I would cut the tweeter at 3000hz off the amp this way I know in the worst case scenario I know its playing in a window of 2600hz to 3500hz both of which will yield happy results.

we already know the elate 6.5s mids can happily play either so thats no problem at all so simply adjust the cut off on the tweeters make sure the gains are proper and bring in the mids adjusting the cut off according to your likeing.

this is my ghetto idea you can use untill you get a proper dsp to reply on