• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 markwalker84

markwalker84

(.Y.)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 26 Apr 2018 - 13:47

We picked up the new car on Sunday and have done a few commutes with it now so thought I'd share some initial thoughts seeing as I made a bunch of threads as I was searching for the new car.

Quick summary: Bloody love it. It's awesome. HELL of a lot of car for the money and I think it's a seriously good looking machine.

Attached File  20180426_124234_LI.jpg   193.03KB   1 downloads

Attached File  20180426_124245.jpg   209.75KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20180426_124302.jpg   230.69KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20180426_124220_LI.jpg   209.9KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20180426_135025.jpg   102.92KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20180426_135007.jpg   156.69KB   0 downloads

SO what is it?

'17 plate automatic Renault Megane GT Tourer in Iron Blue (GT Nav spec to be specific which is top of the line until the RS is officially release)

July 17 reg so less than a year old and a smidge over 8k miles.

1.6 litre engine that produces 202bhp and 207lb ft of torque.

0-60 around 7.5s.

The car comes with a LOT of tech as standard in GT spec, but the original owner ticked must have quite a lot of option boxes as well!

- Sunroof, Automatic parking, alcantara heated seats, bose speakers

Pretty much the only thing I wanted when I first started looking at changing cars that isn't on the list is adaptive cruise, but can't have it all :-)

Auto parking was an unexpected bonus as the wife was VERY nervous about parking something so much bigger than the previous car, even with the (standard) reversing camera and 360 degree sensors.

Plugging the options into a new car is well over £30k.

I paid £18k  :D  WOOHOO DEPRECIATION!!!!

That includes the remainder of 4 years warranty with breakdown cover and a couple of services all for only a few quid more per month than I was paying for the A1.

So thoughts:

As mentioned, I LOVE the way it looks.

I bloody LOVE keyless entry and start.

It's actually a fairly compact estate, and has a lot of glass so visibility and light is really good inside. With all the parking and safety tech it's easy enough to park, although obviously a lot bigger than the A1. It's a perfect size for us I reckon.

The seats are wonderful! (As they should be for a £1200 option!!!)

Digital gauges are very cool.

The Bose system is easily good enough for me. Sub in the boot rumbles along quite happily and through bluetooth or Android Auto or Digital Radio it all sounds good. Goes plenty loud enough.

And it's great to drive. I've not given it a proper go yet as it's just been commuting up and down the M4, but so far I'm really impressed.

Has loads of pull, even in the "comfort / eco" mode. Quick off the line and never seems to get stuck in the wrong gear.

Gearbox is silky smooth - I'd say even less jerky that the box in the Audi. Both are dual clutch 7 speed, but this one feels a bit better at low speed, and just as good once your moving.

Sport mode is definitely noticeable. Not just the added exhaust sound, but it all feels a bit more responsive and "ready to go".

On that, the exhaust sounds good. Nothing amazing, and not heard any burbling or gurgling (not that I'd expect that) but has a quite nice note to it.

It's also WAY more comfortable than the A1. The SLine spec on the Audi had the sports suspension and it came with silly 18 inch alloys with 35mm tyres which resulted in a VERY harsh ride.

This supposedly has sportier suspension than the base model, and has 18 inch wheels, but it's running on 40mm tyres and clearly the suspension is a bit more forgiving as it's noticeably smoother.

Cabin is nice and quite with less tyre, road and wind noise than the Audi to my ear anyway.

On the whole it's really well put together, with good quality materials all over. One or two bits don't feel as top end quality as the Audi (temperature dials and buttons aren't as satisfyingly "clicky" but still feel solid and also the gearstick has a bit of play compared to the super solid stick in the A1) , but overall it's a really nice cabin to sit in and the things you touch most all feel really good. Especially the wheel which is REALLY nice.

So any negatives?

Well the R Link 2 software could be better.

Feels like a few useful controls are buried 1 or 2 levels too deep in menus. A lot of stuff has proper buttons, and I'm sure it'll get more intuitive over time but it's a minor annoyance. The actual touchscreen is very responsive though, so it's probably more a "new and different" issue.

The interface for updating / adding / removing apps is also horrible! But I don't expect to need to do that very often.

I would have preferred the plain grey seats (although the blue trim is actually more subtle than it looks in pictures and it's definitely growing on me!) but this one had so many other tick boxes it was a no brainer.

It's definitely thirstier than the last car... I was averaging 40/41 in the Audi, and I'm currently sitting at about 31... I'm hoping that will creep up to mid thirties as traffic was especially bad this week but we'll see.

Renault went a bit cheap on handover and didn't give it a proper valet and it was pretty much running on fumes which were both a little disappointing.

Oh, and annoyingly, using the "RS" button to go into sport mode and back doesn't take you back to your previous driving mode, but always back to "Neutral"... silly Renault!

Overall I'm well chuffed with it and 100% convinced it was the right choice between a newish Octavia vRS, older Audi A4 Avant and this.

Fingers crossed it's doesn't go all "French" on me!!

Current build log

http://www.talkaudio...years-exciting/

Started as a £200 budget build in a 206

Pretty sure I've spent half of that just on a boot build now  :win:

#2 hot wheels

hot wheels

Zzzzzzzzzz...........

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,543 posts

Posted 26 Apr 2018 - 14:46

What a lovely lovely car! colour, stance, and interior just look fantastic and don't let the whole french thing get to you 'The Van' is 13 years old and only had a couple o ball joints and a cam sensor.  

#3 Mannparry

Mannparry

Forum rent boy.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 26 Apr 2018 - 17:15

What a lovely lovely car! colour, stance, and interior just look fantastic and don't let the whole french thing get to you 'The Van' is 13 years old and only had a couple o ball joints and a cam sensor.  

But is it really French? Or even a Renault?  :P

Mines on its 4th engine, it’s had a few other bits over the 10 years I’ve owned it too. Although I’m pretty sure it’s not been as lovingly looked after as yours. Used and abused would describe it better. 

Nice car btw

Dyn's on class A

#4 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 26 Apr 2018 - 21:13

Plugging the options into a new car is well over £30k.

I paid £18k  :D  WOOHOO DEPRECIATION!!!!

This alone sounds excellent. The fact it actually drives nice too is just a bonus...

don't let the whole french thing get to you 'The Van' is 13 years old and only had a couple o ball joints and a cam sensor.  

So? That thing is polished more and riden less than my knob...

If a man says he will fix it, he will.

There is no need to remind him every 6 months.

#5 ChrisC

ChrisC

Torch lover

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,681 posts

Posted 26 Apr 2018 - 21:17

Lovely colour. Great spec for the money. I won't lie, I really don't like the front end but apart from that it looks like a good car.

You made a good choice considering what you've got and the warranty etc.

Let the new car period wear off and the mpg might creep up. Mine has been sub 20 for the last month.

[url="http://www.chriscliftonphotography.com"]www.chriscliftonphotography.com[/url]

#6 m1pui

m1pui

Its only 1.21 Gigawatts..

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 26 Apr 2018 - 22:22

And always remember... it could’ve been a Jeep :lol:

Pui

ThatKevinSmith
Fellas, I'll be 40 in August. And as a nearly 40-year old, may I assure you young men of the following: jerking off never loses its luster.

#7 Barrie@Ardent

Barrie@Ardent

Ardent Sounds

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,717 posts

Posted 27 Apr 2018 - 14:32

Lovely looking car. New Megane's are supposed to be better built now. Id almost be tempted to go back again.

Edited by Barrie@Ardent, 27 Apr 2018 - 14:32.

#8 Mistr009

Mistr009

Groove Therapy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 27 Apr 2018 - 22:08

This is the car with a handlebar moustache tail light? Not the best looking car ever, but seems like you get a lot for the money.
---///Alpine---
--------------------

#9 -Autoboy-

-Autoboy-

-------------

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 29 Apr 2018 - 16:35

I know you love the keyless entry but is it one of those that can be easily knicked by scrotes with an ebay / Amazon gadget? :(

www.propperdroppers.co.uk

Autos...autos are quicker.
Autos are more consistent.
Autos can be built to be bulletproof.
Autos don't allow missed shifts.
Autos are better in traffic.
Autos are easily rebuildable.

#10 DEVICES

DEVICES

Legend

• 27,988 posts

Posted 29 Apr 2018 - 17:04

Lets be honest, if you are a scrote you are going to nick something performance/resaleable/exportable to Latvia/Nigeria.

Not knocking this at all, it's a lot of motor for the cash. It's a good looking car, if you look at it from the side or rear. 

For a few quid more over an A1, you can't go wrong. 

#11 Patrick!

Patrick!

\/ That's not me \/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,635 posts

Posted 29 Apr 2018 - 17:58

Nice, like the tesla esq centre console screen - at 200bhp/280nm of torque from a 1.6, that is impressive!

#12 markwalker84

markwalker84

(.Y.)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:21

Mini update.

Wasn't expecting the front end looks to be quite so marmite!  :D

Nothing has started falling apart yet!!!

Had a first little play with "launch control"... Obviously not going to be setting any records but that's quite good fun  :D

Economy is going in the right direction.

Currently around 35mpg which is about acceptable. On a proper run / cruise it's well over 40 but short trips and slow crawling traffic don't do it any favours.

Had been creeping up, but may have plateaued without another good long run to boost the numbers.

Haven't kerbed it yet! Woo!

Auto full beam is another nice feature I didn't realise it had when I picked it up.

Sunroof is a feature I didn't realise I really like having. Wouldn't have paid for it myself, but after this weekend REALLY glad we've got it. Definitely moved a lot higher on my "things a car must have" list.

Initial complaints about the screen are going away. Some things are still a menu or two too deep, but it's all easier after a few uses.

Direct sun makes it more or less impossible to read though... which isn't ideal.

Estates are just awesome for carrying stuff. SOOOO much space! Even in a (relatively) compact estate like this.

That said I'm still considering some roof bars. Had some 2x4s in the back at the weekend and while they fit fine down the middle, they were rubbing against the seats a bit so would be nice to lob them on top (watch out for another thread on that...)

Overall still loving it.

As a side note, I still haven't seen another mk IV Megane (hatch / estate / GT or whatever) on the roads at all. Really not a lot of them about, even in lower spec.

Current build log

http://www.talkaudio...years-exciting/

Started as a £200 budget build in a 206

Pretty sure I've spent half of that just on a boot build now  :win: