Photo

Just did part off the big 3

Best Answer R-P, 06 May 2018 - 11:18

Update. I had a load of other codes, reset them with a better code-reader and reread the codes a few days of use later. No more codes (knock on wood)...

Software was Delphi, code reader may have been from them too.

What I don't understand is that the codes were marked as "Permanent" where they clearly weren't (otherwise they'd still show up again after clearing!)

Codes I found (before resetting and translated from Dutch to English):

5000 AC linear pressure sensor (both AC radiators are broken and empty, so not interested in this one). This code showed up twice in this list
Permanent

2000 sensor engine temperature wrong signal (makes sense since I switched On the ignition while having the sensor unplugged) This code showed up twice in this list.
Permanent

6100 electric coolingfan wrong signal (switched ON when accidently turning ignition ON, so not knowing when it would turn OFF since the coolant had been drained, I unplugged it with the plug on top of the fan)
Permanent

5310 no buscommunication with TCM (probably due to ground failing on engineblock)
Intermittend

500A0 Unknown fault code

6805 turbo incorrect flow (assuming this is the vanes being stuck, one of the last things I am going to check before giving up on ever fixing my no-acceleration-below-1800rpm issue...)
Intermittend

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 13 Apr 2018 - 14:29

Been planning for years to upgrade stuff in the Volvo, but now I had to as the OEM 4Ga came loose :raz:

Replaced with 0Ga and I hope this solved the berserk gearbox even though the "gearbox service required" is still in the dash.

God knows how long this has been hanging by a thread...

6hYPF9Fl.jpg

If a man says he will fix it, he will.

There is no need to remind him every 6 months.

#2 bigrigbri

bigrigbri

Fighting time and losing.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 Apr 2018 - 14:50

Not only is it a PITA but could have been some car fireworks. Poor workmanship for Volvo.
Bmw E39 530d,?, Alpine cda-9887r

#3 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 15 Apr 2018 - 17:53

Any thoughts welcomed: I have a couple of error codes since finding the broken ground strap:

P0118* (Pending) Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High
P0244* (Pending) Turbo/Super Charger Wastegate Solenoid "A" Range/Performance
P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request)

Car runs and shifts normally :whatever:

The first may be linked to me changing the thermostat, which probably caused all this: draining the coolant on the lower radiator hose *possibly* made me touch the groundstrap and give it the final nudge to come loose. Obviously it was a trainwreck waiting to happen anyway, but might explain why it happened NOW.

When measuring the sensor, it measures about 1k ohm and not an open or shorted connection, so I doubt it is actually the sensor. (Probably a simple NTC, I measured with a slightly warm engine, so 50C or a little less).

Checked vacuum lines and up to the governor, it is not leaking.

So I am thinking it *might* be a grounding issue somewhere, but cannot find anything online about where to look next.

Edited by R-P, 15 Apr 2018 - 17:55.

#4 Paul R

Paul R

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 15 Apr 2018 - 18:39

It may be due to it getting upset from the earth change modern cars like to get their knickers in a twist when voltages go funny/change.

just make a note of faults on diagnostics, reset the car and see what happens 

#5 bigrigbri

bigrigbri

Fighting time and losing.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 15 Apr 2018 - 19:21

Like Paul says it just might need the codes clearing with Carsoft or simular.
Bmw E39 530d,?, Alpine cda-9887r

#6 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 15 Apr 2018 - 21:26

I did reset the codes with a simple free OBD software (Scantool.net), but not sure how decent that program is.

It will take a week before getting my hands on a (fake) Volvo Vida reader. That should hopefully also narrow down the P0700 code if I can get some more Volvo specific info.

Edited by R-P, 15 Apr 2018 - 21:26.

#7 frostbite

frostbite

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 21:23

I always had problems with unreadable codes when I had the p80, not even the old snap on could read it

Roanapur is an old Thai port in southern Thailand, where the deserters of the Vietnam war took refuge and were joined by the worst villains and criminals of the world.

Prostitutes, drug-addicts, mercenaries, killers and psychopaths of any nationalities compose the population of Roanapur.

#8 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:18   Best Answer

Update. I had a load of other codes, reset them with a better code-reader and reread the codes a few days of use later. No more codes (knock on wood)...

Software was Delphi, code reader may have been from them too.

What I don't understand is that the codes were marked as "Permanent" where they clearly weren't (otherwise they'd still show up again after clearing!)

Codes I found (before resetting and translated from Dutch to English):

5000 AC linear pressure sensor (both AC radiators are broken and empty, so not interested in this one). This code showed up twice in this list
Permanent

2000 sensor engine temperature wrong signal (makes sense since I switched On the ignition while having the sensor unplugged) This code showed up twice in this list.
Permanent

6100 electric coolingfan wrong signal (switched ON when accidently turning ignition ON, so not knowing when it would turn OFF since the coolant had been drained, I unplugged it with the plug on top of the fan)
Permanent

5310 no buscommunication with TCM (probably due to ground failing on engineblock)
Intermittend

500A0 Unknown fault code

6805 turbo incorrect flow (assuming this is the vanes being stuck, one of the last things I am going to check before giving up on ever fixing my no-acceleration-below-1800rpm issue...)
Intermittend

Edited by R-P, 06 May 2018 - 11:20.