Photo

Helix dsp2 help

Best Answer bunch62, 28 May 2018 - 14:38

Quick update 

hurrah I have a correctly working dsp2/ factory amp. 'All' it took was a software update to factory amplifier. Now just need to fine tune it. Hope Peter isn't too busy 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bunch62

bunch62

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 Apr 2018 - 08:59

I was going to do a basic setup in car but after wiring it all up I am not getting any output from OEM amp. Manual states unit will work with OEM amps using special circuit. Could only get sound if speakers fitted in circuit. Am I missing something or is there another method or high level to RCA unit I can use 

thanks Allan

#2 Twonks

Twonks

Legend

• 6,066 posts

Posted 02 Apr 2018 - 09:59

Hi Allan,

How is it connected within the factory system?

Have you got external amps as well, or trying to feed it back into the OEM system?

#3 bunch62

bunch62

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 Apr 2018 - 11:01

Hi Twonks

i am using factory speaker cables as high level input from OEM amp in boot into high level inputs on dsp. Have also just tried using Genesis 3 high level to RCA adaptor still no joy, reconnect factory wires to crossovers for front stage and OEM amp gives output

Allan

#4 Haakon

Haakon

It's cold here

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 02 Apr 2018 - 11:25

But what is connected to the outputs of the DSP I think he was asking? 

If not, I'm asking it now :) 

Also, what car and OEM sound system? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.facebook.com/ottesendesign

#5 bunch62

bunch62

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 Apr 2018 - 12:17

Hi Haakon

output is to 3 external amps for front two way and sub, car is Peugeot 308 (T9) new style has multimedia headunit with boot mounted factory amp. I need the factory amp in the system as it affects other electronics on the car. I think factory amp has to detect a certain load on speaker circuit before activating its output, which is what I was told the dsp will do. Factory amp powers front and rear speakers but none work if dsp is connected. 

Allan

#6 Twonks

Twonks

Legend

• 6,066 posts

Posted 02 Apr 2018 - 12:43

Hi Allen, yes the question was as Haakon put it - although you've answered it now so no problem.

As you rightly say, the Helix manual suggests it should work. The below is lifted straight from the manual

----------------------------------------

Smart highlevel input

The latest generation of OE car radios incorporates sophisticated  possibilities  of  diagnosing  the  connected speakers. If a common signal processor will be hooked up failure messages and loss of specific features  (e.g.  fader  function)  quite  often  appears  -  but not with the DSP.2.

The new ADEP circuit (Advanced Diagnostics Error Protection) avoids all these problems without loading the speaker outputs of the OE radio during high volumes unnecessarily

----------------------------------------

However it's probably worth clarifying with Helix or maybe a Peugeot forum if anybody else has doen the same and how they overcome it.

Used to be as simple as the factory system needing to see a load to work properly but might have changed in the last few years.

#7 nige

nige

Rest in Peace Cass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,978 posts

Posted 02 Apr 2018 - 14:11

Not read all the other comments but some OEM amps shut down if they don’t see the correct load on them. 

--Alpine F#1--Amps by Gordon Taylor--Rainbow Profi-- 

--Dynaudio Esotar2--Silent Coat Extra--14 volt--

#8 SQashqai

SQashqai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 02 Apr 2018 - 17:13

Heavy duty (10w+) 10R or similar (higher) resistor in parallel with OEM high level outputs.
Use just 2x full range outputs if possible, leave everything else as OEM intended and use fader control to zero the output on unwanted channels.

2015 EMMA UK Master OEM League Champion

FiiO TAISHAN - Helix V Eight DSP - ?

#9 bunch62

bunch62

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 14:38   Best Answer

Quick update 

hurrah I have a correctly working dsp2/ factory amp. 'All' it took was a software update to factory amplifier. Now just need to fine tune it. Hope Peter isn't too busy 

Edited by bunch62, 28 May 2018 - 14:40.