• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 El Bambino

El Bambino

LOOK IN COSMIC CATS EYES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts

Posted 04 Mar 2018 - 15:32

Hi guys, back again with a couple of projects.

First up, I won some scanspeak discovery mids and wavecor tweeters froma  facebook group, on the provision that I provide an .stl file for the group to make their own with.

I've knocked up 2 initial rough designs for the base of these little monitors (6 - 7L tuned to 45hz)

First one has a less stable design, but makes bracing easier

Second one has a slightly more modern aesthetic, but is a bit more pedestrian with the symmetrical design

What do you prefer, do you have any suggestions (dimensions are pretty limited at 170mm3)

Attached File  Untitled-1.jpg   59.7KB   0 downloads

I'll also be adding another project, based around very common, very affordable drivers, total build price around £100 - £130, i'll be providing details and stl's if anyone wants to play :)

• Memphis Belle 5 Channel Amp
  • Adire Koda 6 Midbass + CD + I horny
  • Alpine 7998R Head unit

#2 Agi

Agi

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 04 Mar 2018 - 16:14

Howdy Timmy! Hope you're well lad.
Are the drivers papercone?

I prefer option 2, as less likely to produce standing waves that will reflect directly to the back of the cone (if they're paper it'll be worse).

Wide acceptance of an idea is not proof of its validity.

#3 puggie

puggie

Cheers HB ;)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,747 posts

Posted 04 Mar 2018 - 20:13

I like the asymmetrical vent of the first but prefer the triangular plan cab of the second.
It's an ageing estate car with a bonkers super car engine, known for being fragile.

What do you mean it's not a sensible family car and could be a potential money pit?!?!

#4 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 06 Mar 2018 - 11:41

Both look wicked, as a novice CAD tinkerer, I know how hard it is to draw something like that. Top work, nuff respect. :)

#5 El Bambino

El Bambino

LOOK IN COSMIC CATS EYES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts

Posted 06 Mar 2018 - 20:15

Drivers have just turned up agi, and the cones seem to be some sort of coated linen? somewhere between a plastic a paper and a fibre  :unsure: 
And thanks, I'm as well as I can be :) Hope you're doing good too!

Thanks puggie for being awkward!

And thanks cristian, Yup, 10 years of using solidworks on and off and I am sort of OK at it  :lol: 

OK, so triangle cab won, so I did a quick top section, lots of complex curves and a 9 degree tilt on the driver so it points up a bit, saves me from time aligning the drivers.

What's the opinion, bracing is still yet to be added, I do it last, because it makes one heck of a mess of my cad layers!

Attached File  Untitled-1.jpg   77.68KB   0 downloads

• Alpine 7998R Head unit

#6 El Bambino

El Bambino

LOOK IN COSMIC CATS EYES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2018 - 00:16

I went ham on the bracing
And there will be some printed bits tomorrow hopefully
Attached File  Untitled-1.jpg   180.44KB   0 downloads

• Alpine 7998R Head unit

#7 Cristian

Cristian

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2018 - 11:03

And thanks cristian, Yup, 10 years of using solidworks on and off and I am sort of OK at it  :lol: 

I'm so glad you said that. I was feeling pretty shit about my (lack of) skills with you showing drawings like that. I've done loads of online courses on the subject and I still wouldn't even attempt this project.

I do have a printer though and would love to have the files when you're done!

Please do continue to share your updates, looking forward to see your first printed prototype!

#8 markwalker84

markwalker84

(.Y.)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 09 Mar 2018 - 11:27

Sound obvious, but the only way to get better at 3D CAD is to use it.

More specifically to use it for a purpose.

Tutorials are great for an introduction, but I personally find I learn a lot more useful tricks by saying "right, I want to build a stand for my table saw..." and designing something that I know I'll have to actually build. Makes you think about it in a different way as you are considering the end manufacture as well as just the aesthetics.

You also figure out and get good at the the tools you need, rather than trying to learn how to use every button / function the software has to offer.

It's easy enough to / design a model that looks right on screen, but if you want to then use it to create a BOM for building something out of wood you need to think about it a lot more.

I've never done it, but I imagine that counts even more so when you are designing for CAM, as even with woodworking you get a bit of "wiggle room" if you haven't remembered to add interference room / tolerances, or your model isn't 100% accurate in terms of how something in chamferred / constructed / built etc etc. With CAM you kind of have to get it right!

Edited by markwalker84, 09 Mar 2018 - 11:27.

Current build log

http://www.talkaudio...years-exciting/

Started as a £200 budget build in a 206

Pretty sure I've spent half of that just on a boot build now  :win:

#9 El Bambino

El Bambino

LOOK IN COSMIC CATS EYES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts

Posted 17 Apr 2018 - 17:17

I'm designating this thread about my experiments and tests, and my other thread is going to be used for the updates to my main listening pair of speakers.

I got those last ones printed, but I wasn't happy, the thin port was a bit chuffy and i decided I needed to improve the rigidity for designs looking forward, so i made a super simple boxy 12 litre ported box for a markaudio pluvia 7 in 2 parts, I made the walls hollow with a 10mm thick cavity so they could be filled, up first is layers of epoxy resin and sand.

This is where I'm at so far, and now waiting on more resin in the post so I can do the top half.

Attached File  Untitled-3.jpg   56.91KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Untitled-1.jpg   205.84KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Untitled-2.jpg   150.77KB   0 downloads

• Alpine 7998R Head unit

#10 Agi

Agi

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 17 Apr 2018 - 17:53

Epic! This is such a wonderful use of a 3d printer. The versatility of the construction types/methods is incredible.

Wide acceptance of an idea is not proof of its validity.

#11 El Bambino

El Bambino

LOOK IN COSMIC CATS EYES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 18:45

H'okay,

so that box had some problems, the walls bulged a bit, which made space for sand, so now it's like a giant very soft maraca  <_< 

So, theory works, onto a box with more interesting drivers and a more interesting shape, after a bit of testing i found even a very slight compound curve was plenty to stop the bloating effect, with that in mind I designed these for a scanspeak 5" discovery woofer and a wavecor extended range soft dome tweeter, 9 litres tuned to low 40's with an f3 at about the same point.

• Alpine 7998R Head unit

#12 Mannparry

Mannparry

Forum rent boy.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 19:36

Love them, would be very interested in a pair if your building to sell. Iv been looking at desktop speakers for work. 

Dyn's on class A

#13 El Bambino

El Bambino

LOOK IN COSMIC CATS EYES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 20:47

Love them, would be very interested in a pair if your building to sell. Iv been looking at desktop speakers for work. 

Thankyou very much! These took 120 hours of printing, £50 worth of plastic, £20 worth of resin, I'd have to charge a ridiculous amount compared to a wood build, especially if i take failure rate of prints into account, doing a full kg print over 50 hours is pretty hit or miss.

My next project is going to be trying to make something "affordable", in that I want them to be small, and aimed at the high end pc setup, so keep your eyes on this thread in the future :)

• Alpine 7998R Head unit

#14 El Bambino

El Bambino

LOOK IN COSMIC CATS EYES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 18:36

fired up the first side today.

Love the wavecor tweeter, lots of extension and sparkle, but very little fatigue, airy and effortless sound
The scanspeak discovery mid is OK, it does it's job, bass is lacking in texture and lacks a bit of slam but is in no way offensive
the wiring won't be vomiting out the front once I've designed and built the passive XO's

• Alpine 7998R Head unit

#15 Paul R

Paul R

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 20:10

amazing work :D

#16 El Bambino

El Bambino

LOOK IN COSMIC CATS EYES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 00:07

Up next!

3.5 litre cabinets that should have an f3 of 50hz, or 40hz with a 12db boost at 40hz with a q of 1.93
using a newly released peerless 4" woofer and dayton "silkie" tweeter.
haven't ordered the parts yet, so these are still a while away. If I like how they sound I may be doing a slight aesthetic re-work and making these on request for people

• Alpine 7998R Head unit

#17 El Bambino

El Bambino

LOOK IN COSMIC CATS EYES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,367 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 18:47

the pair in place, settled on a 3khz XO on 12db butterworth slopes and a zobel on the woofer, waiting on the XO parts.

• Alpine 7998R Head unit