Photo

Win10 100% diskusage: best advice to solve this?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 28 Jan 2017 - 16:10

There are numerous threads about this, but most seem to contradict themselves. (Change pagefile, DON'T change pagefile, disable "superfetch", leave "superfetch" alone, etc)

So any link to a thread on a trustworthy site would be welcome.

I have an i5 laptop, 64bit Win10 (iirc), 1TB mechanical HDD, AVAST and MALWAREBYTES running, Firefox with 50 tabs open and that's about it. It is almost constantly running at 100% for the first half hour after starting up or waking up, regardless of if I am doing something or not.

Right now I am copying 12GB from an SD card to a USB drive. This is going very slowly, with ~2MB/s on average (USB stick has always been dead slow). Taskmanager shows "windows explorer" to be hugging double that constantly on the HDD usage!!! Not sure why the HDD should be used when copying from one external card to another. But system is so slow, opening up this page to post this thread easily takes 20 seconds.

Adding all processes in Taskmanager never comes anywhere near what the HDD should be capable of, so it is obviously a lousy method of seeing what is going on.

Other known culprits regularly in the top 10 of Taskmanager HDD usage:

Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry

System

Dolby Digital Plus Profile Selector (Never seen this before but today it was constantly in the top 20 of processes when not even using sound)

Localhost (with several suffixes)

wsappx

Firefox (which I would understand as this is something I actually USE...)

Things I tried so far (I actually try to jot down what I do to solve this):

Turn of "windows tips", which did not solve it.

Tried turning off "diagnostic tracking service" but his does not show up in my list of services.

Edited by R-P, 28 Jan 2017 - 16:17.

If a man says he will fix it, he will.

There is no need to remind him every 6 months.

#2 jexdirectedtech

jexdirectedtech

Im all out of wit today.

• 5,935 posts

Posted 28 Jan 2017 - 16:21

So we arent talking about a capacity issue, but that of an I/O usage issue. Your disk IO is maxxed?

Take the mick in the classifieds and thou shall have sharp objects thrown at your reproductive organs :)

#3 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 28 Jan 2017 - 16:27

Dunno. I just have "taskmanager" to see what's going on. It says "disk" is 100% utilised (in Dutch, I am assuming it would be called the same in English).

BTW, the copying is done and now "System" has taken over the number 1 position of raping my harddisk.

And now, minutes later, it seems things are calming down. With just me typing this, disk usage is 50% and slowly dropping.

#4 Twonks

Twonks

Legend

• 6,039 posts

Posted 28 Jan 2017 - 16:28

Why have you got Avast and Malwarebytes running, and is microsoft defender (or whatever it is called nowadays) running as well?

Personally I haven't seen the need for any 3rd party virus checker since windows 8 and only use such things (together with ccleaner) if I think there may be something wrong.

50 tabs open seems a tad excessive !

Maybe disable everything to get a bare bones startup and add your programmes one by one until you find one doing the hogging.

#5 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 28 Jan 2017 - 16:35

It's only 38 tabs :raz:

Old habits, regarding AVAST due to being new to WIN10. My 2005 XP machine unfortunately has a broken videocard or I would still be using that. Then I KNOW and UNDERSTAND when it is slow. This laptop is 10 years younger and hardly faster imho. I'm becoming a grumpy that thinks everything was better in the old days...

Malwarebytes is probably not needed, but downloaded that after my fatherinlaw had severe issues with his PC (Win7 I think).

#6 mr spoon

mr spoon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 30 Jan 2017 - 16:20

Mechanical HDDs (in personal computers as the primary disk) are the devil. Alongside server roles, they do make excellent props for wobbly tables if stamped down to the right size. That's about it otherwise.

I suspect you either have some crapware installed which is constantly thrashing your disk, perhaps you have backup or shadow copy (previous versions) settings hitting the disk hard, or the disk may be faulty and the wait times are going through the roof as it tries to stumble around bad sectors. Of course, if financially possible, I'd recommend that you ditch it and get an SSD. You can also fix a wobbly table at the same time.

Edited by mr spoon, 30 Jan 2017 - 16:21.

Owen

Audi TT Quattro 225 * Pioneer mechless HU into Bose OEM * Ford Puma Black 1.7 16v * JVC AVX2 * R50 Mini One D * OEM

#7 bretti_kivi

bretti_kivi

strange expatriate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 30 Jan 2017 - 18:08

Kill at least one of the AV solutions. 

All browsers are memory eaters past a certain point, Firefox or Chrome might be the main culprit at some point, but it's still a problem.

That Dolby thing also deserves being uninstalled.

Is it running 8GB of memory?

What happens if you open Task Manager and then show all users?

- Bret

Edited by bretti_kivi, 30 Jan 2017 - 18:09.

from a Precision Power manual:

"Before beginning, disconnect the negative (-) terminal of the battery prior to working on the positive (+) terminal to prevent a short to ground. This is important, unless you want to spend the rest of your life with a nickname like "Sparky," or "Smokey." Reconnect the negative terminal only after all connections have been made".

#8 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 31 Jan 2017 - 10:30

It's on 4GB memory.

And I have a 240GB SSD lying around, but then I'd have to put the 1TB in an 'optical-drive' caddy as I have 500GB of media on it. It also has an M.2 slot and I think some people succeeded in making that work, with some effort.

But then it would still be doing loads of stuff to the SSD/M.2-drive without me understanding what it is it is doing. And that bugs me.

The fact the combined diskusage comes to less than 5MB/s while it is on 100% indicates to me there is a lot going on that I can't see in Taskmanager.

I also have issues with it waking up from sleep, with 'powertroubleshooter' having no clue what is waking it. :D  I find it highly amusing that the computer wakes up but it has no clue what woke it. I followed these instructions, and since the waking device was "unknown", I jumped to point 5. When running 'Powershell', it took so long to start up (probably cause the disk was at 100% :raz:) that I had repeatedly copied the code to it and when it finally worked, I thought it wise to start over and only paste the code once. When restarting 'Powershell', it gave me no result, so I will have to wait for it to happen again to see if it really yields no result or if I messed up  and it is somehow cleared by running it twice.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -waketimers
There are no active wake timers in the system.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
NONE

It is scary how many settings there are in wondows that 99.99% of all users will never use, yet they have the ability to cause all kinds of weird behaviour.

Does Windows Defender (?) switch itself on automatically when I disable or remove Avast?

Edited by R-P, 31 Jan 2017 - 10:33.

#9 RainZG

RainZG

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 Jan 2017 - 10:49

That is usually happening when there are errors on HDD. Huge slow down in data transfer.
Try to scan HDD for errors first, most probably you will find out that there are some bad blocks.
And Firerfox with 50 tabs is huge memory eater.
What is your HDD usage when FF is closed?

#10 bretti_kivi

bretti_kivi

strange expatriate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 31 Jan 2017 - 11:11

^^ he's not wrong. What does SMART say?

-  Bret

"Before beginning, disconnect the negative (-) terminal of the battery prior to working on the positive (+) terminal to prevent a short to ground. This is important, unless you want to spend the rest of your life with a nickname like "Sparky," or "Smokey." Reconnect the negative terminal only after all connections have been made".

#11 Fog Loom

Fog Loom

Ex-Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,030 posts

Posted 31 Jan 2017 - 13:35

Windows 10 has (or had?) an issue where it would thrash the disks after coming out of sleep mode.

Next time it's doing it just open up Task Manager, order by disk usage and get a screenshot.

#12 bretti_kivi

bretti_kivi

strange expatriate

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 31 Jan 2017 - 13:37

Win 10, Chrome, 35 tabs open, 600MB in Skype - 8 GB memory used. 

Upgrade memory, the page file will be being used with so many tabs open.

- Bret

#13 R-P

R-P

One size fits all

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 06 Apr 2018 - 17:45

So I added the SSD (850 EVO, 250GB) and issues are gone. Until 5 minutes ago, when it was trashing my (now) second mechanical harddrive and rendered my computer useless and unresponsive.

God only knows what Windows thought was a good reason to shut out the owner of the computer this time...:whatever: (I don't use that harddisk as I still want to format it to clear the original Windows and restore partitions).

#14 frostbite

frostbite

Regular Forum User

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 22:41

I had this problem a while ago, on win 8 and 10

there are a couple of services that cause the problem, prefetch is one of them

Roanapur is an old Thai port in southern Thailand, where the deserters of the Vietnam war took refuge and were joined by the worst villains and criminals of the world.

Prostitutes, drug-addicts, mercenaries, killers and psychopaths of any nationalities compose the population of Roanapur.